Private Road?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by nick97, Feb 17, 2015.

1. nick97

nick97 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Okay here's my question, where I live its in the county and everybody owns acre tracts from 1- 20ac. The easement/street to my house is dirt road and only serves three houses/neighbors including myself. Really nobody has business through here unless they're to visit one of us . Now , I want to know if I can petition this street to be private as it serves no other purposes. I live in texas and need help with this agenda. Thanks

2. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    In alot of states, the counties get state funding based on the number of miles of road they have. If they were to give it up, it would decrease their funding. And since dirt roads cost very little, having this road is icing on their budget cake. They dont like to give them up. But it never hurts to ask...

The same sort of logic is applied to property taxes. The more road frontage you have, the more taxes they charge. I dont know specifics about Texas, but I've seen this in other areas.

3. nick97

Feb 20, 2014
    I see, well they are just thinking of putting caliche and so far are only good at cutting down trees. Lol

4. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Was the roadway dedicated as a roadway, or is it just a legal easement. If it is a private road, it is up to the landowners to do the upkeep.

Beware of buying landlocked parcels.

5. nick97

Feb 20, 2014
    For the longest time it was just a driveway to our home with no stop sign and plain ole dirt. I asked county officials and said they just got control of the road and is new to them. I mean we're not even on the maps

6. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

Check your and the neighbor's deeds unless the county took the property from you folks or all of you petitioned for the county to take it over it would be a private road I would think. Also depending on how/when the road was installed it might have been a public road at one time and therefore the county might not need to take the property from you they may have simply been neglecting their duty to maintain for years. simple answer research your properties deeds.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by