Privett hatchery? Any good or bad reviews?

My fed store only buys Pirvett hatchery even though there is one a lot closer (Ideal). I bought 12 chicks last spring. All were healthy with not problems. I ended up with one roo. Sexing of day old chicks is not 100 % fool proof. The chances of you getting a roo are 1 in 10. Usually. If the chicks at your store are a few days older, and you are not embarased,
ep.gif
pick the little ones up, hold them upside down and check the "business" part.
bun.gif
Even if you don't know what you are doing if you look at what are supposed to be all pullets and you pick up a roo you can tell. Sort of like kittens. A . (dot)
roll.png
is a roo a ! is a girl.
frow.gif
Think about it. Good luck !

i know this thread is old but i just bought some speckled sussexs from the local tsc and they got them from privett i brought them home some has pastey butts but now they are all doing awsome of corse it was a stright run bunch but here are some pics of them now

i know this thread is old but i just bought some speckled sussexs from the local tsc and they got them from privett i brought them home some has pastey butts but now they are all doing awsome of corse it was a stright run bunch but here are some pics of them now

anyway just wanted to put in my two cents and i might just order from them in the near furtur we will see

yes and 100w bulb

Hi April. Newspaper is something you don't want to have the chicks on. It is too slick and the chicks get no traction. That is a common cause of splayed legs and improper foot development. I strongly recommend you replace it with cheese cloth, burlap, or paper towels for the first 4 or 5 days and then move them on to pine shavings for the floor area. I noticed in the pictures that the chicks are huddled together under the light. I don't know if that 100 watt bulb is enough heat for them. If you check the temperature, it is suggested to keep it at 95 degrees under the light for the first week, 90 the second, 85 the third, and so on. They should have enough room to get to cooler areas of the confined area if they choose. I don't know how warm the room is you are keeping them in, but you might cut some cardboard about 18 inches high to band around the outside of the cage. That will protect them from drafts and chilling. Are they eating and drinking well?

Last edited:
Hi April. Newspaper is something you don't want to have the chicks on. It is too slick and the chicks get no traction. That is a common cause of splayed legs and improper foot development. I strongly recommend you replace it with cheese cloth, burlap, or paper towels for the first 4 or 5 days and then move them on to pine shavings for the floor area. I noticed in the pictures that the chicks are huddled together under the light. I don't know if that 100 watt bulb is enough heat for them. If you check the temperature, it is suggested to keep it at 95 degrees under the light for the first week, 90 the second, 85 the third, and so on. They should have enough room to get to cooler areas of the confined area if they choose. I don't know how warm the room is you are keeping them in, but you might cut some cardboard about 18 inches high to band around the outside of the cage. That will protect them from drafts and chilling. Are they eating and drinking well?
yes they are eating and drinking well and the room temp stays at 78 degrees day and night but i will go and buy a different bulb for them and switch out the flooring and do the in close the cage also but the same to be doing well

yes they are eating and drinking well and the room temp stays at 78 degrees day and night but i will go and buy a different bulb for them and switch out the flooring and do the in close the cage also but the same to be doing well

Okay. I'd suggest at least a 150 watt red bulb. Use one of the brooder lamps with a white, ceramic housing on top rated for up to 250 watt bulbs. They are safer and cost about $9. Hang it over an area of the cage away from corners so they don't cramp each other. It would work well if you hang it so you can adjust the height for temperature adjustment over the coming weeks. I don't like those clamp-on brooder lamps because they could pop loose and start a fire. Here's some info which may help you:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for their posts. A special thanks to "Chillin" for the link - feather site. Opened it and learned a lot although I thought I knew a how to raise baby chicks. This is what is so great about B.Y.C. - everyone sharing knowledge. I recently started to sign up for a chicken class offered thru a leasure learning organization. I really could't afford it and part of the class required driving almost an hour to the instructors farm. I finally decided I did not need to do that. Any thing I needed to know about chickens was at my finger tips right here on B.Y.C. Thanks everyone !

I like Privett the best--for a small number of chicks--it will cost more for shipping-just go to your local feed store they ge tbetter prices for large amounts of chicks--OR FIND SOMEONE LIKE ME-I order baby chicks-raise them up-sell at any age-STARTED PULLETS-many people prefer for me to raise chicks for the first month--as far as diseases-chicks can be vaccinated-but feed should be MEDIACTED -starter / grower-costs more-but is best not to loose any chicks-hatchery says S/G for 6 weeks-I only use S / G for the first month--

Back
Top Bottom