PROBABLE RACCOON PROBLEM; NOPE, GREAT-HORNED OWL

Very interesting behavior going on with two pullets with complete freedom of choice with respect to roosting site. Both are nesting down in a hole provided by inverted rabbit pens in storage for winter.

What you trap is not always what killed a bird.

True, just check back a few days and I described a scene where I witnessed a Red Tail hawk feasting on a road killed raccoon while a small flock of crows waited patiently for their turn. Not in my wildest flights of fancy did I ever imagine that the Red Tail hawk was driving and 18 wheeler and that she had run that coon down.

I spent the majority of my 66 years thinking owls were beautiful creatures. Then I lost six adult hens to a Great Horned Owl in one night. All were killed and left in the orchard not 50 feet from the chicken yard. My heart is sad. I go to sleep each night listening to the hoots of the owls on our farm. Of the hens killed only one had serious damage. The predator looks to have gotten the egg out (but not eaten) and part of the intestines were pull out (again, I do not think eaten). The other hens seemed to have broken necks or something. All were still warm when I got up at dawn to feel animals. I have spent the past week putting up 2800 square feet of bird netting around and over the top of the chicken yard. Hopefully this will help. Then hens go into the coop at night and the door is shut. I have noticed that on a full moon some of the hens go out the hen door during the late night (probably to dance under the light of the full moon LOL).

Several years ago I lost several birds to a GHO. I haven't since. I put heavy duty netting covering all of my pens. My game camera told the story.
PRMS0002.JPG

Holy Hannah! What a great and convincing photo your camera captured! Thanks for the input, read the whole thread. Hopefully the bird netting all around and over will solve the problem for me. Have new chick arriving tomorrow and I know the little ones are very easy food for the birds/and critters so they will be kept safe in the greenhouse till bigger. Thanks again! KC

First thing found was this with my own eyes. Lucy beat me to barn as she sprinted there. Two hens photographed in classic owl response posture as I got there quick myself.
View attachment 1581684 View attachment 1581690

Upon checking game camera images, bingo! Raccoon-owl, new species to be described as only occurs in my barn! Cute ain't it? Note time stamps and when Lucy comes into view.
View attachment 1581694 View attachment 1581696 View attachment 1581697 View attachment 1581698

Owl easier to deal with that raccoon, got to take into account time change to get out an hour earlier.
The owl is like - There's no owls in here, just us chickens. :lol:

Holy Hannah! What a great and convincing photo your camera captured! Thanks for the input, read the whole thread. Hopefully the bird netting all around and over will solve the problem for me. Have new chick arriving tomorrow and I know the little ones are very easy food for the birds/and critters so they will be kept safe in the greenhouse till bigger. Thanks again! KC
:welcome :frow

Back
Top Bottom