Probably a dumb question, but...

Lori J

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2017
Bear with me this question involves quail :

I have an Orpington hen that has been laying on eggs that have not hatched after almost 30 days!! From experience, it is hard to break her broodiness (and I don’t like doing that anyway). So, my thought was maybe I could purchase chicks to put under her. At least it will get her off the nest and raising the chicks.

Checked with the local tractor supply and they only have quail and turkeys chicks! I was considering trying to put quail under her? I currently have a quail, and realize that they’re fragile, but I have heard of people putting quail under chickens. Opinions, experience or hearsay all welcome!

I probably wouldn't try quail though because they can get many diseases from chickens. i don't know about turkeys
I often have my quail and chickens together. So if that’s true, I’m afraid that “horse” has already left the barn LOL

coturnix quail will possibly work, but bobwhites won't because of their skittish nature. Turkeys will probably be okay. try and report back:)
I’m tempted to try. Hope I’m not being too “mad scientist” about this. They are trying to charge 5.99 per chick though!

Turkey maybe, quail not with a full sized chicken, they smother easily. Quail and turkey have similar nutritional needs as quail, a starter with 30% protein. Then you have biosecurity issues of adding new birds without quarantine. I'd just look for some fertile eggs and let her try again if she's that stubborn about sitting. Or just order chicks instead of you don't want to let her sit that long. TSC has a 10 chick minimum, and this time of year there's usually lots available via craigslist.

Bear with me this question involves quail :

I have an Orpington hen that has been laying on eggs that have not hatched after almost 30 days!! From experience, it is hard to break her broodiness (and I don’t like doing that anyway). So, my thought was maybe I could purchase chicks to put under her. At least it will get her off the nest and raising the chicks.

Checked with the local tractor supply and they only have quail and turkeys chicks! I was considering trying to put quail under her? I currently have a quail, and realize that they’re fragile, but I have heard of people putting quail under chickens. Opinions, experience or hearsay all welcome!
If you were to try, I would suggest waiting until they’re a week or so old, to be certain they are able to navigate out of the way and don’t get stepped on

You have a broody thats been sitting for 30 days you need to break the poor girl and let her go eat and build her weight back up. You put another batch under her she will wind up dead.

Back
Top Bottom