Probably A Dumb Question

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
After reading Backswampgirl's post this morning, I have what's probably a dumb question. If an adult chicken has runny poo, can they get pasted up?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Yes, under certain circumstances they can, but it is from illness, which is not the same thing as when chicks get it.

An adult hen's vent is very large, so it isn't likely.
What is apt to happen is that poo will collect on the feathers below the vent. If you see this regularly on a hen it is a bad sign - something is wrong and needs attention. The first thing I would do if I was seeing this is get a fecal check done.

Chickbea....that is happening and I just took fecals of 3 of my 4 chickens to the vet to be checked and she said she found no parasites in any of it. One of my hens died very suddenly yesterday. I have one now that seems to have diarrhea sometimes and sometimes not, all within the same day. Got any ideas of what I should do?

I'm feeding them 16% layer crumble from Southern States. I stopped giving them scratch almost 1 mo. ago. The only thing besides their food that I've given them is cooked rice, organic plain yogurt and chopped hard boiled egg. I did give them some live crickets yesterday. As of today, back to worming them with Wazine.

Wazine is not a broad spectrum wormer like ivomec Eprinex... so you may be giving medication for something they may or may not have and any medication is hard on the birds system ...
you give no details of what happened to your other bird that died ... it could be due to any number of things . Without knowing specific details on how old the birds are (and how you have been feeding them since you got them) the breed...how they are housed, their environment they live in the weather etc. I would have no idea whatsoever how to advise you
idunno.gif

Last edited:
The bird that died (Oreo)...
idunno.gif
I let all of them out of the coop, into their run (which is completely fenced in and covered) first thing in the morning. Oreo was actually the first one out. She acted just fine; eating, drinking, making her usual noises. At 1:00 that afternoon, I went out to visit them and she was on her side, dead. I live in VA and it's actually been fairly warm here lately. I clean the coop every morning and rake the run at least every other day. Of course, they get fresh, clean water daily.

This is the coop: Sorry it's sideways, I know that doesn't make it easy to see:
IMG_0399.jpg

Here's Another:
IMG_0392.jpg

These were taken while in the builing process so it doesn't show that the top of the run is completely covered in avairy netting.
Oh yeah, I ordered Wormgaurd plus w/flax from mcmurry yesterday.
Is there any other info. you might need? I really am thankful and appreciative to have you take your time to try to help me.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
What breed...how long have you had them (since they were chicks?) how old are they. Do you give or have you given them anything other than feed (so treats etc)... do htey have access to any plants which might be toxic? You mentioned "pasting up" ...is this what you are seeing? Are their poos abnormal to what it usually is?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom