Probably a really dumb question...

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
I find a lot of info on bulb wattages but I don't understand what kind of light/lamp to use. A regular house desk goose necked lamp? A reptile lamp? does it matter? Can a heating pad under the box work? Is the constant light bad for the chicks? Thanks! If my eggs hatch in 22ish days, I want to be as prepared as possible.

I got my heat lamp at a home improvement store. I have 2 (always good to have a back up) I get my light bulbs at the pet store in the reptile section. One red for night time, one blue for day time. They are heat lamp bulbs. The red puts off more heat than light. Depending on how old the chicks are I will move the lights closer or further away from them. It's good to have an area of your brooder where the chicks can get out of the direct light if they are too hot. The older and more feathered they are the less heat they need. You really want to wean them off the heat lamp by 6 weeks (or fully feahtered) so they will be ready to move outside. Here is a picture of one of my brooders to show you the type of heat lamp I have. It is just a big metal cone (which directs the heat down) with a clamp on it.

38307_img_0429.jpg

I use zip ties on the cords (not shown in the picture) and attach it to the wire mesh on the sides of the brooder, to make the lamp more secure and to lessen the chance of it falling. Placing your lamp safetly and securing it are very important as they can be a fire hazzard.

Last edited:
I just wrote up a longish post about my heat lamps here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=436813

Be
sure whatever lamp socket you use is rated well above the wattage you are using. Ceramic ones are way better, and usually rated for up to 300watts. I have some plastic ones rated for up to 150watts and I use a 75 or 85 watt bulb in them. Your average desk lamp is gonna say 60watt max. Attach it well in a way that it can't fall down on the chicks or bedding. Those clamp on style lights are notorious for falling. Use a wire or chain to hang them or attach them to something, or use a wire/metal grate over the brooder to set the light on.
Using a red colored light is not as bright which allows them to sleep better, and while it might not be "ideal" (a broody mama is really ideal) in the real world full of broody-less breeds having the red light on all the time won't hurt them.

From looking at the picture on the 1st reponse you got, you can see what the lamp looks like. I got mine at Lowe's. It was in the electrical isle next to the extension cords. It looks like the trouble lights that guys use to work on cars in the dark. It has a metal dome shape and an clamp on one end of it. The clamp is so you can hang it & point it where ever you need too. I think mine was around $12 to $15.

Then you can go look at the light bulbs, also at Lowe's. I found mine on the bottom shelf, but Lowes does indeed have heat lights ($4 - $7). Some of them had pictures of chickens on them. Just find a sales rep in that area and tell them what you need. They will show you where they are. I had a bright heat light for in the house/brooder right after they were they hatched, up until 4 weeks old. From 4-6 weeks old, I put a regular light bulb (in the lamp) in the brooder with them. Then I moved them to the coop and put a red heat light in there with them. I leave the red heat lamp on all the time in the coop for extra heat and a little light. They seem to really like it. Once the winter is over, I will remove the red heat light from the coop all toghether.

Hope this helps. You can also google it and read up on all the different info out there. But in the end, you just need to use your best judgement and keep a close eye on your chicks to see how they are responding to the heat and the light. If they are laying right under the heat light all the time, then they are cold. If they are staying away from the heat light, they are to hot and it needs adjusted.

Thank you so much...I finally get it! The pictures and descriptions were immensely helpful.

Back
Top Bottom