probably a silly question but...

Effielin

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 11, 2014
I am new to this, born and bred city girl so please don't laugh too much.

I have four chicks we got at the feed store about four weeks ago.. I have wanted chickens for YEARS. I am raising two granddaughters and one in particular is just in love with the chicks. We take them out and play and hold them every day and she helps take care of them, even cleaning up the "poop." I am really proud of her. I keep reassuring her that the chickens don't have teeth and can't hurt her.. but um, my late husband had a parrot and when it bit me, it HURT.. and it bit me all the time, and of course, it did not have teeth, just a really strong peak SO my question is, when the chicks get big, do their pecks hurt?

Last edited:
Short answer would be yes. If they peck aggressively or in defence, it can really hurt. You best bet is to ensure that it never happens. If they are all hens and hand raised, it will probably never be an issue.

Your handling of the chicks means they will probably grow up sweet and gentle with you. None of my hens peck me out of spite. Most will eat out of my hand and rarely the beak misses the bread and I can feel that! But it doesn't even leave a mark.

Thanks guys...They are all hens. We are having so much fun with them and its been a great experience for my granddaughter and me, I could not be happier to finally have chickens.

I had one hen draw blood on my knuckle the other day....she's a meany tho.

Not as bad as a parrot, they don't let go!

Back
Top Bottom