Probably a silly question.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken-owner-31, Nov 6, 2010.

1. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    ....but when you are purchasing chics from a hatchery for the purpose of breeding eventually, do you need to get a roo from a different source? My son REALLY wants to get Silkies and I want to get some Cochins (a frizzle cochin roo is my aim) and wouldn't mind playing breeder for a bit. Of course we are doing research and such, and building them their own little place away from my current birds. But I got to thinking that if we just ordered 30 chics from the same place, wouldn't they all be related somehow? I only want about 4 hens and a roo by the time it's all said and done, so I may wait until spring to order them so I don't have to order so many chics from two different places.

Sorry if that is a really silly question!

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    We never call questions silly here; we all had to learn at some point.

It's actually quite unlikely that birds from the same hatchery will be related, simply because they select yours from so many. Most use many sources for their birds, in addition to the ones they may hatch themselves. I wouldn't worry about it -- breed away!

3. Caseman

Caseman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    It will be ok to order from 1 breeder..[​IMG]

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    That is not a silly question. And you already got your answer. It should be Ok to get the Rooster from the same place.

5. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Thank you guys so much! I'm sure I will have plenty more questions before it's all said and done! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by