Probably a silly question!

Niki Chickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Ok I live way out in rural Northeastern Oklahoma. I have 2 outside dogs and 2 inside dogs. A barn cat and 6 chickens. None of them bother my chickens now. I raised the chickens from baby chicks. They free range during the day while I am at work and I put them up and let them out everyday. I was afraid to eat my 3 roosters and gave them away to be eaten because I was afraid the dogs would get a taste of the chicken blood etc. and then be after my chickens I wanted to keep. Does anyone have this problem? Or had to deal with this problem? We live on a farm but we have dogs dumped all the time and I usually keep them after getting them shots etc. But these dogs I have now we have had for years. I would like to eat some of mine next year after I have babies and have to get rid of some roosters again. Can anyone give me some advice?

keep them in while you are butchering, and let the blood drain into a bucket or somewhere were the dogs can't go, same with the feathers. Also don't give them the raw meat, or any that looks like a bird (ex. a whole chicken). Good luck! :)

Thank you it has been something I have been wondering about. I know the coyotes will clean it up over night but before then I was afraid my dogs would get into it and then start killing my birds. They have all been so good to not even look at them and let the chickens even pick stuff off them and eat it....lol

Back
Top Bottom