Probably bumblefoot/ staph infection but no scab...now what?

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
We have a big rooster who had bumblefoot (with scabs) on both feet. We were able to get rid of the bumblefoot non surgically by use of Tricide Neo soaks, Epsom Salts soaks, antibiotic ointment, Veterycin, and Cephalexin. He recovered fairly quickly, within a couple of weeks, and during that time he was in a pen with shavings and some straw. by himself, and was in an outside pen during the day, by himself, on grass. He was fine for a few days then developed swelling on his left foot, underneath the spur. (he was still in his hospital pen) There is no scab, never has been there's nothing. I have tried treating it the same way, but this time, nothing is happening. The swelling is painful and warm. I assume it is a staph infection but am not positive that it isn't an injury, although I don't know how he would have injured himself. Antibiotics do nothing.. I am reluctant to cull him because he is otherwise quite healthy, cheerful, and strong, has a good appetite, and is a sweet tempered, nice rooster. He's only 2 years old. He, however, is getting very sick of foot soaks, which he never liked to begin with, and of being handled, same thing. So it's difficult now to catch him and if I am able to soak his foot once a day I consider myself lucky,. He fights and knows exactly how long five minutes is, so soaking his foot beyond that time doesn't work too well. I have tried saturating a cloth in Tricide Neo solution and soaking his foot that way, which he tolerates better, but I am not sure it has the same effect. What else can I do? I'm considering taking him to a vet, though I dread the cost. Anyone?

Ill see if i can get pics today. The other roosters dont bother him that ive seen. And in the barn and overnight hes in a big elevated pen they cant reach

Here you go. It doesnt look like a big lump today its just swollen throughout.it is sore. He isnt intersted in cooperating much for pics either but another will follow. You can see where he lost a toe and we were treating that too when we first started tteating for bumblefoot

Attachments

• 29275.jpeg
    29275.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 16
Do you know what happened to his rear claw? From here it looks like it got ripped off at some point? It looks like internal infection of some sort, either bacteria got up through the claw or where the claw meets the skin, maybe he got he got poked by something under the spur and bacteria got in. What antibiotics have you tried? I'd say a deep tissue medication like Doxycycline might help this, maybe even baytril. Soaking in Epsom Salts to help draw out the poison as well.

Well he was on Cephalexin for the bumblefoot, 500mg capsules 750 mg per day split three ways. That worked for the bumblefoot but not this infection so I switched him to Baytril tablets. I only had enough Baytril left for about five days. I gave him a week's break from antibiotics at all and then started him on Clindamycin, 300mg, 150 mg twice a day. That didn't do anything, so after a week, I stopped it. I am getting nervous about having him on antibiotics for so long. He hasn't had any for a couple of days and it doesn't seem to be getting worse. I can't get any more Baytril, it's just not available right now.. I might have some Doxycycline, I'll look and see. Re the missing claw, I referred to it earlier as a missing toe, i really think he lost the whole tip of his toe, way before he had the Bumblefoot. We treated it when we were treating the bumblefoot he had on both feet, and the toe itself didn't seem to be a significant problem at the time. Do you think i should just use Epsom Salts for soaks, or go back to the Tricide Neo soaks, or alternate? I have a pack and a half of tricide neo powder left.

(I don't know what he did to his toe, but we've had a few roosters who seem to lose parts of their toes over the past years, and it's never seemed to be a big problem for them. Maybe they do it when they're sparring around, I'm not sure.

I wondered about Gout. Because it doesn't really seem to be getting worse and the past few days I have been swamped and haven't had a chance to do much with him. He's still happy and eating and crowing and limping. Does Gout ever go away completely?

Back
Top Bottom