Probably should have thought first...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by max13077, Apr 21, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

To save a buck, I got some old metal roofing from a friend for free. Only catch, it had a small hole or two in it. I put it down tonight and patched the holes with thick roofing tar. Then to seal the deal, I put the tar along all the seams.

I never gave it a thought. Is this going to be OK? Are the chickens going to be affected by the tar fumes? They aren't in there yet, probably be at least this weekend before they're in.

Also, I should have thought again. I used some of that "great stuff" expanding foam sealant to fill in a couple of cracks. Will that hurt the chickens?

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you can use that tin for the roof.an it shouldnt bother the chickens.

3. youthpastor

youthpastor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    as long as they can't reach it to peck it, they should be fine i'd say.

4. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

I would suggest using liquid nails sealant instead.

5. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    The chickens should not be bothered by the tar as long as they don't get on the roof.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If it makes you feel better my barn was built in 1915. It is a commercial poultry barn. It has a hot tar and tin roof. Not one leak in sight and no sign of past leakage either. Your roof should be fine.

7. max13077

OK, that makes me feel better. I checked it this morning and there is almost no smell at all. Last night it was like they'd just paved the road out front. Thanks folks! [​IMG]

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    And just make sure the expando-foam stuff isn't exposed where they can peck at it. You can trim it flush with a knife and cover it with a piece of wood trim, if it is.

Pat

9. max13077

Pat, I planned on sanding the foam flush with the wood, then painting it. Is that cool? If not, I will cover it up.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Don't honestly know! They're certainly less likely to peck at it if it looks the same as the rest of the wall. I guess the sensible thing (well, A sensible thing [​IMG]) would be to sand and paint it, then keep a long-term eye on it and *if* you see any signs they've been doing some taste-testing, cover it over. It is not like a *few* mouthfuls of it is going to kill them outright, so, just pay attention.

Howzat? [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by