Probation/Jail for keeping chickens!?

... and he was violating city ordinances. So, he knowingly and willfully broke the law. Not to mention (if the neighbors are telling the truth) he was not keeping up his property, therefore becoming a nuisance with the chicken feces and feed rotting and smelling up the place. And attracting vermin. I wouldn't be happy with that, either. If people in cities and towns want to keep chickens, they need to lobby to get the ordinances changed to do so. I have no sympathy for those who are knowingly breaking the law and have to pay the consequences. I also believe that if you're going to raise chickens in town, you really should be considerate of your neighbors.

... and he was violating city ordinances. So, he knowingly and willfully broke the law. Not to mention (if the neighbors are telling the truth) he was not keeping up his property, therefore becoming a nuisance with the chicken feces and feed rotting and smelling up the place. And attracting vermin. I wouldn't be happy with that, either. If people in cities and towns want to keep chickens, they need to lobby to get the ordinances changed to do so. I have no sympathy for those who are knowingly breaking the law and have to pay the consequences. I also believe that if you're going to raise chickens in town, you really should be considerate of your neighbors.

Amen! I wouldn't want to live next to this: "In Garden City, some who live near Zeilinger's house on Helen Avenue say he doesn't maintain his property. It has chicken feed and feces, piles of wood and other debris attracting mice and rats, and a foul stench that wafts into their yards, they say."

I've answered several people who came to BYC because their neighbors have chickens that are allowed to roam and dig up the neighbor's flower beds, and poop on their decks, and the chicken owner just feels entitled to let the birds roam. This is the reason for anti-chicken ordinances in the first place--people who are selfish and wreck things for people who would be responsible chicken owners.

Also, as a former government employee--they never start out with fines and possible jail time. They always start out with a letter. And if Zeilinger had gotten rid of his chickens when he got the letter, they would not have escalated. It would take a long time of the chicken owner being intransigent about getting rid of his birds for it to get to the point of his being threatened with jail time.

Last edited:
I didnt share because i sided with the guy... i shared because of the comments and miss information people were throwing around below the article and thought maybe some people would want to speak on behalf of chickens.. My bad

Question...if you lived next to someone that let their dogs roam free & crap on your yard, your belongings, etc, & did not keep their yard free of dog crap & other debris, would you side with them or against them?
Why would it be different if they are chickens?
Part of keeping them is being responsible & courteous to your neighbors, not allowing them to run rampant wherever they may.
With that said, others should read THIS article
http://ferndalechickens.com/2013/05...e-on-the-criminal-charge-of-keeping-chickens/
Which breaks things down. It does seem he has a very vengeful neighbor that is just 'out to get him'.
From what I have unbderstood, Michigan's right to farm law should have covered him.

Back
Top Bottom