Probelms with homemade waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Loco Ken, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Loco Ken

Loco Ken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Hey, Everyone!

I've been having an issue with my pullets getting their feed in the waterer. From what I can tell, they are getting it in there from their mouths. This all started more regularly after I started feeding them organic feed. They must not be swallowing the feed all the way before they take a drink because I have to clean out the waterer every day. I can't leave it in there for any length of time or it ruins the water. Why are they doing this? And how can I prevent them from doing it, if that's possible? I made my own waterer out of a HD bucket with a automatic waterer for dogs and a small length of garden hose. It works great but kinda defeats the purpose of having it fill by itself when I have to clean it out everyday anyway. Sometimes multiple times a day. Any suggestion would be helpful! Thanks!

Loco Ken

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had better luck with the feeder further away from the waterer. However, I change the water every 3 or 4 days and if it gets food in it, it doesn't seem to bother them. When they were getting food in it a lot I would tip the waterer and just dump the part in the bottom once a day or so.

3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Have you given any thought to a nipple watering system? In my humble opinion it is the only way to go for simplicity and convenience. No more cleaning out waterers. Just a thought. Good luck.
    erik

4. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Quote:It's not just for your convenience. It prevents a lot of contamination and pathogens from growing in your water supply.

5. Loco Ken

Sep 13, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Quote:Sorry for the late reply (Life happens whether you want it to or not) but I would really like to try this. I need to investigate more on the construction and availability of parts but it sounds like a good alternative to my watering problem. I will do some searching, but is there a good thread here that you know of that explains putting this all together and where to buy parts? Thanks for the replies, everyone! I will post pics of the new system when it gets put in place and of the old one too. [​IMG]

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Neal Grassbough ( I think thats the right spelling) on this forum sells water nipples at a good price and resaonable shipping cost. You just need the nipples and a bucket and your good to go. I hang mine so it's easy to adjust the height. No more stuff in the water and you can put a heater in the bucket for winter, this doesn't work if your usinf pipes or hoses they will freeze.

7. Loco Ken

Sep 13, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Ordered up some watering nipples last night. Looking forward to getting this installed. Thanks for the help, everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by