Probiotics for Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenkassai, Jun 13, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Hello all! I am interested in giving my girls some probiotics, but they don't seem to care for yogurt, and it was SUPER messy [​IMG] I'm not sure about making or growing kefir or whatever that stuff is yet, so is there another source of probiotics? I take a probiotic capsule, could I just open that up and sprinkle it on a treat? I also have a powder probiotic I mix in with my dog's food, could I give them some of that?? Here are the ingredients:
    Dried organic whey, saccharomyces cerevisiae, yucca schidigera, dried aspergillus niger fermentation extract, natural mixed tocopheryl, dried fermentation products of lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidobacterium (two different kinds), enterococcus faecium and bacillus subtilis.

It's made to sprinkle on food or dissolve in water. What does everyone think? It says the dosage for a small dog (1-10 lbs) is 1/8 tsp, so I guess I'd give the chicks the tiniest smidge if I could use it with them.

Thx!

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use probios and am extremely happy with the product. It's for chickens and other animals. I use 1/4 tsp probios per quart of water. I don't know anything about the product you already have.

3. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Where do you get the probios from?

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I bought mine from amazon.com. It arrived really quickly(next day). I bought it 3 months ago, gave a little over 1/4 to the neighbor across the street and have quite a bit left in the container. It lasts a while. I change my water 2-5 times a day also, depending on how much pine gets in there.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Probios is a common supplement and can be found in a number of catalogs ie horse supply catalogs. Try googling for more sources . Probios is almost exactly the same as what you already have . One ingredient I donnnnnnnn't recognize and wouldn't feel comfortable saying it's ok for poultry.

Yogurt--I always mix it with feed. Seems less messy to me. My girls love their meals. Really!!! Have recently read that milk protein is not good for birds; but haven't been able to verify this. Many people do feed the yogurt.

I feed probios to many of my animals--good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by