1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Problem Candling, all dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tororider, May 24, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Songster

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Ok, its day 10 and I just took a flashlight quick to the eggs. I can see clearish spots at the bottom, and then the air sac at top, but a mass of opaque stuff in the middlish. I am worried that they are all dead, is it possible that I am just not using a powerful enough flashlight to see through things? Please help.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It was day 10 yesterday for me, mine looked same as yours, and I know my flashlight is just not real powerful.

Your eggs should be fine. [​IMG]

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Songster

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    They're probably fine. Give them a few more days, then candle again.

Good luck!

4. equus2

equus2 Songster

One of my best investments was a flashlight that someone here recommended. It was about $24 at Walmart, 90 lumen, I think....Sportsman? by Rayovac? Anyway, I just thought that I hadn't gotten a handle on candling, for the past 2 years.....then I bought this. Wow! In a white/cream egg, I can see veins at 5-6 days, that I could never see before. I was so jealous of you who could see when the chick had pierced the air cell.....had NO idea what you were talking about! But with this flashlight.....it's a snap!!

5. tororider

tororider Songster

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Great, thanks. I will try to get to Walmart tomorrow and look for that flashlight. I am hoping that is all it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: