Problem flying chickens

Covered run is likely the most effective approach. If clipping to be pursued further, then then do it bilaterally and very close. This the time of year when you have least risk of getting into blood feathers. Take a look at a whole store bought chicken wing to get a handle on where flesh and bone end. Feel live wing to reinforce that.

My games have exceptional flight and jumping capacity for domestic chickens. Properly / severely clipped, I can keep them from getting 2' above the ground.

Clipping was a success. One was exceptionally naughty and then I realized how much chickens can actually fly lol. One ended up on top if the coop which is really a large converted shed then flew across my entire backyard into the garage. No one wants to fly right now so I can see how well it worked but they're all cleaning themselves right now.

I had the same problem. I never had a problem until I got my 3 Easter Eggers. We ended up getting bird netting to keep them in. When we first set it up, it was funny because they would try to jump and then be "bounced" back in by the netting.

I never heard of chickens flying so much. We had a mixed flock last time with some buffs and Wyandottes and the time before we had 2 buffs and some other kind I can't remember and they NEVER jumped the fence. It was just a 4 ft fence at that house too. The problem bird today literally flew straight up to the top of the coop and then stared at me lol. They haven't jumped the fence today. I've been keeping a close eye because I really don't want them in the neighbors yard. I cut both wings on the problem bird today since she was getting so much lift.

I read somewhere that Easter Eggers could be flightly birds but I just thought how bad could they be.... I learned real quick how flightly they were. They are also the most mischievous chickens of the group. I used to use a 3 foot barrier to separate the yard and never had a problem. Then came the Easter Eggers.... they would fly over.... ruin my mom's garden and when finished fly right back. Tried a 6 foot barrier and same thing except they would get a running start, hop then fly over with their wings flapping and screaming like crap. Then came the bird netting.

My Belgian d'Uccles fly very well, and so I've never had a flock without considering flight. They don't fly over my 5' fencing, because there's so much else to explore, and it's set a few inches above ground level, so easy to get under at times anyway.
A covered run is needed!
Mary

The cheapest way to cover a run is get garden netting, at about $5 for a 5x20 foot piece. You can staple it to your coop and to your fence. Snow falls through, it is light weight, but very protective and hard to break.

Personally, I don't think clipping their wings is neccesary. You can get a higher fence or a roof over your run. If you don't have the time or patience, clipping their wings would be a good a good option for you. What I'm trying to say is you have other options too.

Well we don't get snow here, only once or twice every few years (usually after a hurricane). Hopefully we can get the 6ft privacy fence up within the next few months but it's a LOT to fence in.

I never heard of chickens flying so much. We had a mixed flock last time with some buffs and Wyandottes and the time before we had 2 buffs and some other kind I can't remember and they NEVER jumped the fence. It was just a 4 ft fence at that house too. The problem bird today literally flew straight up to the top of the coop and then stared at me lol. They haven't jumped the fence today. I've been keeping a close eye because I really don't want them in the neighbors yard. I cut both wings on the problem bird today since she was getting so much lift.

Typically the heavier bodied birds put less effort and are less successful at sustained flight. I have large fowl white Cornish. They have wings but I'm not sure any of them have read the chapter on flight operations. They walk everywhere they want to go. The marans hens I have pretty much stay put also. I have a couple I had to clip but for the most part they respect the fence. There is one that has been clipped and then clipped closer but she still manages to frequently be on the wrong side of the fence taunting the others as she free ranges at will. Now the white Plymouth rocks aren't flighty but they sure like to explore. Everything is better on the other side of the fence irrespective of which side of the fence they are on at any given time. The 6' fence is nothing more than a fun challenge. I have one that prefers to lay up against the side of the house directly under the hose bib. One time I caught her escaping. She would come out of the coop and stand on the landing pad, jump/fly to the top of the coop and then walk off the edge, hit the ground and then run up to the house to lay her egg. All the wPRs have been closely clipped.

Personally, I don't think clipping their wings is neccesary. You can get a higher fence or a roof over your run. If you don't have the time or patience, clipping their wings would be a good a good option for you. What I'm trying to say is you have other options too.

There are always options to everything. Unless one does not have a decent pair of kitchen shears there is no cost to clipping wings. If it resolves the problem it is a no cost solution. I don't know anyone who doesn't like a free solution. It doesn't hurt the chickens, it's temporary, a much more humane method of restricting flight than pinioning or dewinging and in regards to sustained flight, chickens are not really capable of it so generally they can not escape predators as other birds can.

Back
Top Bottom