Problem Maybe ?????

Bourkeco

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 23, 2009
I have a Rode Island Red and a week ago she started laying and now for the last 4 days nothing ?????? is this normal? My little silkie has been like clockwork every other day for a month..

Thanks

Scott

You could check her for being egg bound, which is something I routinely do if one girl suddenly stops laying.
However, being as she's a new layer chances are it's completely normal.

It's not unusual to start and stop a few times. Do take a look around, to make sure she hasn't found a hidden place to lay.
wink.png

Quote:
How do you check that?? Sorry this is all new to me..

Scott

The way I do it: Pick the hen up and hold her like a football, with her head facing towards your back. Feel low across the abdomen, between the pelvic bones (not sure if they're called pelvic bones in a chicken, but you get my meaning?). It should be soft and pliable there.
But again, it's more than likely normal that she hasn't laid. They are very erratic in their laying at first.

P.S. Don't apologize for wanting to ask questions and learn. That's what BYC is all about.
Welcome aboard!
smile.png

Shes back at it..... With a really small one just like my Silkie.... My Rode is laying eggs with doubble yolks will she always do this??

Scott

Back
Top Bottom