Problem or pullet being pullet?

CastielH

Songster
Oct 27, 2020
Vermont
I have 24 week old Belgian Watermaal bantams and had one of my pullets, Pipsqueak, lay her first egg on Thursday. Her behavior has been normal besides showing some interest in the training eggs I put in the nest boxes but they all have. Today I found a second egg that had a slimy membrane over the shell but the shell itself under the membrane was normal as was the inside of the egg with a nice yolk. She did have some yellow liquid discharge in her feathers with a few clumps of what looked like egg shell, I checked both other pullets and neither of them are laying so the egg must have come from her, is this just her body figuring itself out or is this the sign of a problem? I was panicking so I didn't get any pictures but it just looked like yolk on her butt, her vent looked normal just slimy.
Edit because I forgot to add - she hasn't been acting any different energy wise and her stomach felt normal if that helps.

Sometimes first/early eggs have thin or weak shells and can break in the nest. Or, a chicken can inadvertently break one by trying to push it under her. I've had that happen even with a 2 year old hen.

Until her system gets everything "dialed in," you can have all kinds of strange eggs.

Sometimes first/early eggs have thin or weak shells and can break in the nest. Or, a chicken can inadvertently break one by trying to push it under her. I've had that happen even with a 2 year old hen.

Until her system gets everything "dialed in," you can have all kinds of strange eggs.
It wasn't really the egg that concerned me since I knew for the first few weeks their eggs can be a bit of a mess it was more the liquid discharge that had me worried. Is that still common?

Today I found a second egg that had a slimy membrane over the shell but the shell itself under the membrane was normal as was the inside of the egg with a nice yolk. She did have some yellow liquid discharge in her feathers with a few clumps of what looked like egg shell,
Here's a possibility... She laid a regular egg, and a second egg came right behind it. Not too common, but possible. The slimy membrane on the regular shell could have been the white from the second egg. The yellow liquid in her feathers sounds very much to me like a broken yolk, with some broken bits of shell. The second egg might have had a thin shell, and been easily broken.

Here's a possibility... She laid a regular egg, and a second egg came right behind it. Not too common, but possible. The slimy membrane on the regular shell could have been the white from the second egg. The yellow liquid in her feathers sounds very much to me like a broken yolk, with some broken bits of shell. The second egg might have had a thin shell, and been easily broken.
Is there anything I should do for her or just keep an eye on her and note if anything changes?

Is there anything I should do for her or just keep an eye on her and note if anything changes?
Make sure she has a source of calcium. Crushed egg shells, or oyster shell are good.

This is probably "new layer" glitches in her system, and everything will be fine. If you do find broken eggs, remove them from the nest right away. And any bedding that's goopy with egg. One thing you don't want is for her, or another pullet, to find out how tasty eggs are! Then you could be dealing with chickens that break eggs on purpose and eat them.

Make sure she has a source of calcium. Crushed egg shells, or oyster shell are good.

This is probably "new layer" glitches in her system, and everything will be fine. If you do find broken eggs, remove them from the nest right away. And any bedding that's goopy with egg. One thing you don't want is for her, or another pullet, to find out how tasty eggs are! Then you could be dealing with chickens that break eggs on purpose and eat them.
They've had free choice oyster shell since the day I found the first egg and I have some flaked oyster shell ordered since I think the normal stuff might be a bit big for them. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for broken eggs, thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom