Problem Production Red

psychoroo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
Wicomico Church, VA
This past spring I acquired 6 production reds and 2 leghorns. All are laying. In july I got six more chicks, 2 easter eggers, 2 barred rocks, 1 blue andalusian, and a mystery chick (slate grey legs so I assume an americauna). When I received the chicks the mystery chick was a lot smaller than the others and, although fully feathered, it is still about a third smaller than the rest. About a month ago I integrated the chicks and everything went rather peacefully. However, lately one of the reds has taken to picking on the mystery chick. During the day all is fine, the run is large enough that the chick can stay out of her way, but at night it gets so bad the red runs the mystery chick out of the coop. When I go out to lock the coop the chick is huddled somewhere in the run. As soon as I put the chick in the coop the red will jump down and try to chase her out. I now do it after dark so the red can't see her when I close the door. Is the only solution to remove the red for a few days and let everyone else re-aclimate then reintroduce her to the flock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's always difficult to introduce new flock members to an established flock. It's especially hard to introduce chicks that are physically smaller and less mature than the other flock members. I usually wait to introduce birds until they are at point of lay, because then they are big enough to have some defense against the other flock members.

Since you've already put them all together, the best thing I can tell you is to remove your problem bird for a week. Put her physically in a different place, so that she loses her place in the pecking order. Even on the other side of the fence will work. When you reintroduce her, hopefully she'll be so busy finding her place in the pecking order, she'll let the mystery chick alone. It will also give your mystery chick a chance to find her place in the pecking order and be less stressed.

(btw, if your chicks are from a hatchery, there's no way your mystery chick will be an Ameraucana. An Easter Egger, perhaps. But I only know of two hatcheries that sell real Ameraucanas, and they don't send mystery chicks.)

Last edited:
It's always difficult to introduce new flock members to an established flock. It's especially hard to introduce chicks that are physically smaller and less mature than the other flock members. I usually wait to introduce birds until they are at point of lay, because then they are big enough to have some defense against the other flock members.

Since you've already put them all together, the best thing I can tell you is to remove your problem bird for a week. Put her physically in a different place, so that she loses her place in the pecking order. Even on the other side of the fence will work. When you reintroduce her, hopefully she'll be so busy finding her place in the pecking order, she'll let the mystery chick alone. It will also give your mystery chick a chance to find her place in the pecking order and be less stressed.

(btw, if your chicks are from a hatchery, there's no way your mystery chick will be an Ameraucana. An Easter Egger, perhaps. But I only know of two hatcheries that sell real Ameraucanas, and they don't send mystery chicks.)
I agree. Remove the problem bird for a week or two.

Here is a picture of the mystery bird. She came from Meyer and I noticed on the website that they do sell americaunas. Does any other breed have slate colored legs?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/
content/type/61/id/5985994/width/200/height/400

Here is a picture of the mystery bird. She came from Meyer and I noticed on the website that they do sell americaunas. Does any other breed have slate colored legs?

Hmm, your image isn't showing up. Yes, other birds can have slate legs. I would be shocked if you got an Ameraucana for free from Meyer, though--they sell their pure Ams for $20 each. I would guess Easter Egger, which Meyer also sells. But try to put up the photo using the little photo button at the top of the box when you type your reply and we'll be better able to help.

Back
Top Bottom