Problem: Quail Spill Most of Their Food

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Gene313, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Gene313

Gene313 New Egg

Oct 2, 2009
    I have 30 Texas A&M quail who spill over half of their feed. They are raised on wire so any spilt food is unaccessible to them as it drops into the waste trays below. Currently using a chick feeder (vertical plastic jug that fills feed into trough with small cut-outs). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:A picture would help, are you filling it over halfway full?

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    The long chick feeders that you just open the lid to fill and don't have a jug cut down on a lot of waste.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
  5. ken429h

ken429h Out to Lunch

Jul 14, 2009
    Lawrenceville, GA
    I 3rd, the flat feeder!!!!!!!!!
    They just eat the food and scratch on the wire. Also a sand/dust box will solve the second reason they waste food.

Ken

6. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    I switched to hanging feeders and vI have very little waste...like just about none.

7. john in wa

john in wa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    I have just started using old coffee cans the plastic ones. I cut holes in them about 1 and a half inces up from the bottom i make the holes big enough the birds can stick their heads in and eat. i am thinking about using these for the water as well so they dont get the poo in the water. save the lids so you can use them or your birds will jump in the coffe can and dust bath in the feed. depending on what brand of coffe i buy i can get 5 to 6 holes all the way around. keeps the feed nice and clean no poo in the feed at all.

8. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought some freeders off here made of PVC & the quail waste ZERO feed!!!!!

9. Gene313

Gene313 New Egg

Oct 2, 2009
    I am going to try the flat trough feeders. Thanks for all of the advice.

10. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    Im using a rabbit feeder on my pens they wasted alot of food. i took some chicken wire and stuck it in the mouth of the feeder and the waste is next to nothing now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by