Problem regulating brooder temp

yomama

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
outside, except when I'm inside
I am having a heck of a time regulating my brooder temp. I have a 250 watt red heat lamp, hanging above one end of my brooder. I have a thermostat in it's direct line of fire. The brooder is in my kitchen, on the table, away from windows and the ceiling fan is not on. It seems as though the temp can range from high 80's to high 90's-(sometimes reaching 100!) throught the day! I have been trying to adjust the height of the lamp and I just can't seem to find the right "spot", for it to stay at 95 degrees. My brooder is long and the other half of it temps at around 75degrees, so the chicks have a reprieve if they need it. I've had the chicks since yesterday. What is funny, is even when the temp is registering really high, they don't seem to mind. They are all very active, not panting at all. I even tried another thermometer to make sure that wasn't the problem. I realize the important thing is that the chicks are comfortable, and that if they are doing ok, then probably no need to worry. However, since this is my first time raising baby chicks, it would be nice to be able to follow some sort of guidlines. My husband pointed out to me last night, after we made a fire in the living room, that the air in the house could be affecting the brooder temp as well. Well, no fire this morning, and still having problems. Sometimes the chicks like to lay on the thermometer, so I know that can affect it. But they don't do it all the time. Has anyone else had this kind of issue. I included pics of my brooder, if that helps.

44142_brooder_clean.jpg

44142_brooder_1.jpg

44142_brooder_3.jpg

Thanks!

I had the exact same tub as you do! My bulb was a smaller bulb, and therefore I was able to keep the lamp lower in the beginning, and raised it to about your current height. As the temperature needs to be lowered as they grow, you're going to have to be creative to raise your lamp:p. The key is to watch the chicks...huddling means cold, dispersing and panting means hot. The picture of your chicks seems to indicate they are happy. Just keep an eye on them, they'll let you know.

Make a lid with chicken mesh and change out your bulb to a 100 watt red flood light place it on top of the mesh. I usually put a piece of cardboard on side that the light is not on. I seems to hold temp at about 98 * which is perfect after a couple days you can start to remove cardboard slowly and they should start to feather alittle and be able to reg their temp.

I have a smaller brooder lamp that I purchased from a local feed store. One suggestion (so you don't have to buy a new lamp) is to just get a lower wattage bulb from a pet store (I found mine in the lizard/amphibian section). Maybe try a 75 watt bulb. Wal-Mart also carries them in the light-bulb section...I think they are in a black box (I get those for my eyelash gecko).

I have two chicks that have/have had leg injuries and are in a smaller brooder right now, and I bought a second lamp from the local pet store for $15 or 20. I figured I could always use it in my pump house outside next winter, in the coop next winter, or if I ever get baby chicks again.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom