Problem w/ humidity (hygrometer calibration gave strange results)

haTHOR

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Near Asheville, NC
Hi all. Many hatches under my belt with the LG and the Brinsea Octagon 20 the last several times. Calibrated my hygrometer (new, walmart digital type I have always used) with sea salt. Result of 85%!

I am sort of gob smacked as to how to proceed. I can't believe it's 10 degrees over because we live in a humid area with no A/C in the south in late July. It being 10% over means it is 40% in the house. My very old dehumidifier says it's somewhere between 50 and 60% in the house. Hygrometer on top of dehumidifier says 51%. In brinsea (vent completely open) says 34%. Can't believe it's been 24% in there....I do dry hatch...babies look good but I don't know much about how to assess size of air sacs.

CONFUSING.

Lockdown starts tomorrow. Should I even worry? I've had no water in troughs at all first 18 days. Thinking I should just fill and put in sponges in the morning, as I always have at lockdown,
and figure the humidity has and will be fine.

Last edited:
Hi all. Many hatches under my belt with the LG and the Brinsea Octagon 20 the last several times. Calibrated my hygrometer (new, walmart digital type I have always used) with sea salt. Result of 85%! I am sort of gob smacked as to how to proceed. I can't believe it's 10 degrees over because we live in a humid area with no A/C in the south in late July. It being 10% over means it is 40% in the house. My very old dehumidifier says it's somewhere between 50 and 60% in the house. Hygrometer on top of dehumidifier says 51%. In brinsea (vent completely open) says 34%. Can't believe it's been 24% in there....I do dry hatch...babies look good but I don't know much about how to assess size of air sacs.

CONFUSING.

Lockdown starts tomorrow. Should I even worry? I've had no water in troughs at all first 18 days. Thinking I should just fill and put in sponges in the morning, as I always have at lockdown,
and figure the humidity has and will be fine.

Your hydrometer is incorrect so to be safe you should just add water and sponges and think about calibrating or getting a new hydrometer ........

Are you candling and marking the advancement of your air sacks ????

Do you see how the air sacks growth is charted on each egg here are you doing this to monitor each egg as the air sack gets larger and the chick grows ?????/

Days 7 and 14 are marked on these egg's and on the morning of the 18 day I went in to do a check for the last mark and I had some new customers waiting ......

Back
Top Bottom