Problem w/Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door *Update* Problem no more!

I've been using the Pullet-Shut door for about a month now and it is awesome. I haven't had any problems although any mechanical device can malfunction. Frankly it is more reliable than a human. I have been around chickens since I raised and showed them in 4H over 30 years ago. As dumb as they are, I love them and their individual personalities. My wife and I considered getting an automatic door about a year ago and ended up putting it off because of the cost. Then just over a month ago, I forgot to close the gate to their pen after letting them have the run of the backyard on a nice fall day. The next morning one of my five hens was gone and a trail of feathers was left behind. I have a game camera and set it up next to the gate to see what type of critter was responsible. Turns out I have some rather large racoons that have been coming back almost every night since. My pen and coup are very predator proof with 1/2 inch galvanized mesh buried 6" under the entire pen and a cover over the top, so as long as I don't leave the gate open I didn't have any issues. Now with the automatic door I have double security in case I blow it again.

As far as being stuck inside (or outside) because of a door failure, I still check on my chickens in the morning and at night. I need to collect eggs and besides that, I enjoy them. If the door were to malfuction, I would just go back to the manual approach. I haven't heard of chickens overheating and dying in a coup but then I live in Oregon not Texas. It seems like a big leap to blame a failed door for killing chickens in that scenario.

If you are considering an automatic door, I can tell you that this one is designed very well and is easy to install. I didn't charge the battery after receiving it (and still haven't) and it has been working great for almost a month now. The designers have put a lot of thought into this and it shows.

Thank you. I am still thinking about it. The cost thing is an issue. So is the fact that I do worry about an oops while I am away for a few days. If I unplug it, there will be no worry about any issue. Then again, they will be better off being able to go outside. I worry too much.
he.gif

I do hope to get one soon. Maybe for Christmas?

As far as being stuck inside (or outside) because of a door failure, I still check on my chickens in the morning and at night.  I need to collect eggs and besides that, I enjoy them.  If the door were to malfuction, I would just go back to the manual approach.  I haven't heard of chickens overheating and dying in a coup but then I live in Oregon not Texas.  It seems like a big leap to blame a failed door for killing chickens in that scenario.

At the same time, you can't assume people will be there to check. I know people with chickens that have jobs where they are away when it gets light and they don't want to open the door before they go to work, or the chickens will be vulnerable at night. This person works from 2 am to 11 am so yes, they could die in there during the summer if the door was stuck shut. We were looking at a door to use while we went on vacation, so we could not have checked it every day. Our only help is about 25 minutes away and we didn't want to have him come twice a day, every day, just to open the door. We ended up securing our run better and just leaving the door open 24/7 but that may not always be an option.

Just because you haven't heard of chickens dying in a coop doesn't mean it doesn't happen. :rolleyes:

Well, just to update my experiences with pullet shut. I've had the door for about 8 months and its still functioning perfectly, the light is strong green and charged. Actually I've even ceased thinking about it. The solar charger is great option since the coop isn't wired anyway, and while sandy visited we had no commercial electric for ten days. Pop door has never missed a beat. I think if i did have a problem I could call the company and they'd sort it out. As for an over heated coop...I'd not consider the pop door as ventilation, if my coop were that hot I'd fix that issue. Best purchase ever.

I've had my pullet shut door with solar panel up and running since the first week of July... checked the battery in November to see if it needed to be topped off... it didn't... it still had a full charge after 5 full months of continuous flawless operation off the solar panel alone. It made it through the shortest days of the year and it's still out there working perfectly. Will probably check the battery in March when I'll need to reprogram it to open earlier and shut later to accommodate sunrise and set times for the longest days of the year (right now it opens an hour and a half before sunrise, and closes 2 hours after sunset)

I keep a small secondary feeder in the coop... and that's it. I only have one waterererer and it's located out in their run when it isn't spending the night in the house because overnight freezing is a possibility. I am not providing supplemental heat or lighting, so once they're on the roost, they're up there until morning... no need for a waterererer in their coop. On these cold cold mornings I get up early to get their waterererer out there for them first thing... when overnight freezing isn't an issue, I totally sleep in because I can.

Thank you, Pullet Shut Door.

Last edited:
I love my pullet door. I've been through my first winter with my girls. My coop is a two-level arrangement with the lower level covered in chicken wire (and hardware cloth on the bottom). The door is installed in the lower level, mounted on plywood. It works perfectly, and I dont worry any more. I use the solar option, even though I'm in Oregon--it's still fully charged.

I have separate ventilation upstairs, based on what I learned from this great community. It's worth every penny...it's built solid. Plus, I installed all by myself; easy.

FYI-Had my first problem with my Pullet-shut door in that it would not open all the way. Tried to use the magnet to shut it (I have the opto sensor on my door) it would not shut now either. Hmmm, after looking and checking it out I found where some sand from my coop had built up enough around the bottom pivot of the door. I quick rinse with the hose (quick after I de-winteriezed my faucets and hoses...lol) and back in business. I put a 4-tap valve on my faucet now and have a permanent hose and nozzle ran to my coop/run area for just such stuff.

I've had my pullet shut door with solar panel up and running since the first week of July... checked the battery in November to see if it needed to be topped off... it didn't... it still had a full charge after 5 full months of continuous flawless operation off the solar panel alone. It made it through the shortest days of the year and it's still out there working perfectly. Will probably check the battery in March when I'll need to reprogram it to open earlier and shut later to accommodate sunrise and set times for the longest days of the year (right now it opens an hour and a half before sunrise, and closes 2 hours after sunset)

I keep a small secondary feeder in the coop... and that's it. I only have one waterererer and it's located out in their run when it isn't spending the night in the house because overnight freezing is a possibility. I am not providing supplemental heat or lighting, so once they're on the roost, they're up there until morning... no need for a waterererer in their coop. On these cold cold mornings I get up early to get their waterererer out there for them first thing... when overnight freezing isn't an issue, I totally sleep in because I can.

Thank you, Pullet Shut Door.
You should add on the opto sensor.....works awesome and they are very helpful if you have any questions on install (very good instructions to intall though). I think it was only $20 or so.....

I've had mine installed since August. It was easy to install in the existing pet door hole - just required a little trim work. It has worked perfectly every day since then. Not the first problem. I got the solar power/photo eye options. Yes, this is an expensive addition to a mostly free or scavenged coop build. But, I have to leave before dawn and sometimes don't get home until after dark. It was worth the piece of mind to know that they are safely locked away regardless of my schedule.
Love it!

Back
Top Bottom