problem with a hatching chick

wvgal61

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Troutman, nc
I have a chick that just hatched a few hours ago. It had a red blob hanging out and is shaking its head wildly and flopping around. The other 6 didn't do this. Should I be concerned?
Any advice? Thanks
Patty

That certainly isn't normal - I've never had a chick like that. Where is the red blob hanging out of? Its abdomen? Sometimes there are abnormalities that only show when they hatch ... but I have no idea what to advise you except keep it warm and watch and see if it settles down. Sometimes they will live for a short while and then go on to the big coop in the sky if there is something badly wrong. Otherwise sometimes you may end up having to put it out of its misery. How long ago did it hatch and is it any better now?

It took all day. Yea it is the abdomn, where the yolk usually goes in at. It looks like bright red meat! This is my first hatch so I don't know anything, Just the great things I've read here.
Thanks

It has quit thrashing and is moving about peeping, acting moore like the rest did now. I didn't know if i should wet the area or just wait and see

It's called a rough navel and no do not wet it. It needs to dry up and seal off or its insides can come out. It's normally caused by humidty being too high during hatch, or temp being too high during incubation.

I just had one of my chicks hatch today and the same problem, looks like a red blob about the size of dime or a little smaller, mine was freaking out too and has settled down and is now sleeping off/on i hope it will make it, my first hatch as well. I moved the chick onto a paper towel and that seems to be helping.

The area is drying up well. Chick is eating and drinking and pecking the other chicks lol. Seems to be doing great at the moment. Thanks for the good advice Mandy H!

How is your chick doing? I read this post before my chicks hatched, and low and behold, the first chick out has the same thing. So I quickly found your post again. Please let me know what the outcome was and if your chick is okay. Does the thing dry up and fall off? Hope the rest of your chicks are doing well. Thanks for your post. I learn so much here. And thanks to MandyH who helped out with that timely information!!

Back
Top Bottom