Problem with a Red

rascalman

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
I have six reds. One is a buff color. She is being shunned and picked at by the others. She is not eating much food (Layena), not laying yet, but acts and appears healthy. Actively scratching during free range. I separated her thinking she may be stressed. Also, don't see any poop in her area.

Did you get them all at the same time, or did you add her later? How old is she/they? Is the not eating since you separated her?
For a better chance at answers, you might want to try posting this in the "Managing Your Flock" forum. And...:welcome

I have six reds. One is a buff color. She is being shunned and picked at by the others. She is not eating much food (Layena), not laying yet,  but acts and appears healthy. Actively scratching during free range.  I separated her thinking she may be stressed. Also,  don't see any poop in her area.

Sounds like it might be a pecking order issue. You can seperate and isolate one or two of the "pickers" in cages or crates for a week, then return them to the flock. The "pickers" will be knocked down the pecking order real quick.

Kelsie2290 - Got all of them at the same time as chicks. They are six months old. I didn't realize that she was not eating until I separated her and noticed the food I provided was not being eaten. I took your advice and posted this again in "Managing your flock". After separating her for a while today, I closed the coop and put her back in. Then I opened the coop door. When she came down the ladder she got attacked by all of them. She ran to the corner and put her face down to the ground to get them to stop. I couldn't stand it so I took her back out. I've been putting her back in the coop at dusk because I don't feel the dog crate I am using for her is adequate protection. She doesn't have any injuries yet, but fear she will get injured if I don't keep her away from them.

Back
Top Bottom