Problem with chick a couple hrs old

FireFightersMoM

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
All my chicks are hatching out great, but one little guy. It has what looks like a string of mucus come out its bottom. It has blood in it. I was going to put it down, but when I pick it up...it looks and chirps at me. Eyes are open, but looks like it is getting dehydrated. The are does look like it is starting to dry up a little. But it made quite a mess in the incubator and now the hospital box I have it in.

Any idea's?

Last edited:
Keep an eye on it. And make sure brooder temp. is 97 -98 degrees.
Get electrolytes and vitamins in the water. Or you can get poly vi sol, NO IRON formula. Yes, it's the stuff you give your kids. So you can get it at your grocery store.
Hopefully others will be able to add to this info.
Remember that if the chick absorbed all its yoke it should be okay for about 2 days. But remember, you will need to dip their beaks in water and scratch at the feed like the mom would do. Sometimes you have to keep repeating this every few hours until they get it.
Good Luck! And congrats on your new chickie poos!!!

The goo, was fairly dried. I noticed that it was drying to its foot. So thought that can't be good. So I used a sterile knife and cut it off. Held the area for a few minute. When I put it down..it cried. So I wrapped it in flannel and put it in a cup so it is upright. Seems to like that...

But I will do the fluids...

Thanks so much

FFM

Never cut anything off the chick! It was likely the membranes still attatched, it would have dried and fallen off on its own. When they are wet, blood actively pumps through the veins in the membranes. He probably bled to death, or he had other internal issues (sometimes things just don't work properly). I'm sorry for your loss though. *hugs* It is possible that the humidity was too high. The membrane should stay wet enought to come off the chick, but dry enough to break off when the chick crawls out.

I am so sorry for your loss.
Next time instead of cutting something off, the better thing to do would be a wet paper towel, or washcloth. and keep it moist.
You did the best you could do to keep it comfortable warm, fed and loved. It had a better chance on survival with you.
So, Good Job!!!

Take Care!
Good Luck with the rest of your chickies!

Back
Top Bottom