Problem with door closure on run

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
I'm having a major issue with the door on my chicken run. I have barrell type clasps, different sizes, but because of the freeze/thaw and the ground heaving, the posts are apparently moving slightly, which offsets the receiving end of the closures. I now have binder twine tied on the door/fencing to keep the door closed, and I'm EXTREMELY nervous about that.

I suggested to DH that we buy 3 more barrell clasp closures and put one on one, and if the door moves again, put another one one...and then I'd have 3 slightly different positons to choose from so hopefully that would allow me to close the door in any weather. He said he'd figure something out, but any suggestions would be most helpful!

He has already removed the hinges on the door & repositioned it twice, and I'm concerned that if we do that repeatedly, the screw holes will become stripped eventually.

Sorry now pics, but if anyone thinks it would help, I'll take some tonight & load tomorrow a.m. first thing. I guess I'm really more wondering what folks use to latch their doors. Maybe there's something out there I'm not thinking of. Thanks so much for any feedback!

The barrel type have to be lined up just so to work well. What about a different type, like the hook and eye ones. Or a homemade one where a bar attached to the door can be dropped or slid into a holder on the frame?

Just bend a piece of flat aluminium to receive the barrel. That will then cope with the up and down movement of the barrel.

Another option is to use a horse-stall latch, which allows for some motion. I agree about the barrel-style- it's the most difficult if you have shifting.
cool.png

Ours isn't finished yet but I passed on FREE barrel type closures (courtesy of my neighbors huge stash of parts) and we built THESE: we used pieces of finished 1 x 1 inch trim with half a hinge on top of it, drilled holes in the upper part of the wood, then attached the upper part to the wall of the coop with long screws, and used SHORTER screws for half of the wood that actually moves down to act as the closer . You could use BOLTS and washers for the upper hole - right now it's not completely closed as the varnish on the whole shed is still drying. We have damp weather playing heck with our schedule.
P3300722.jpg

Last edited:
We use small gate clasps then use a bolt on astring to keep it closed. works great for all the pens. Our doors seem to move all the tme as well and this makes it easier to adjust them

bigmike&nan :

Ours isn't finished yet but I passed on FREE barrel type closures (courtesy of my neighbors huge stash of parts) and we built THESE: we used pieces of finished 1 x 1 inch trim with half a hinge on top of it, drilled holes in the upper part of the wood, then attached the upper part to the wall of the coop with long screws, and used SHORTER screws for half of the wood that actually moves down to act as the closer . You could use BOLTS and washers for the upper hole - right now it's not completely closed as the varnish on the whole shed is still drying. We have damp weather playing heck with our schedule.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/mikennansourhouse/P3300722.jpg

This is what I was talking about​

WOW - thanks so much, ALL of you, for the great ideas! I don't quite understand all the descriptions, but DH probably will. I think he really wanted to get it nice & snug for safety, but seems like most all of these will do the same job as the barrell clasp without all the headaches! THANKS again; you guys ROCK!

Back
Top Bottom