Problem with duck egg hatching... :( *PICS*

I've had this exact thing happen with chicks. I was actually able to peel the total shell off, and the membrane was mostly intact, then I gently peeled that off. I was able to leave the chick in the incubator on a clean paper towel to allow it to continue absorbing the yolk sac and develop.

It worked out great (it's happened to me a few times), and the chicks were perfectly healthy......

Good luck and I'll bet the duckling will be fine....
fl.gif

OK guys, the chicken is out the egg (holding on just about with his cord) however he is very weak, he can barely lift his head up & hasn't opened his eyes yet.

When should we give him food & drink? He's been hanging out the shell for about 6 hours now.

They are going to be weak and need some rest. Most of the time they can survive a few days on the nutrition they got from the yolk sac. It you want you can put out some water and scatter a tiny bit of food on the floor. I would suggest going ahead and giving him some poly v sol vitamin (without iron). take the dropper and drip it along his beak line to encourage him to drink it so he will not choke. Give him some time to get around and dry off...he has been through a lot and needs to recover.

Best of luck,

--laura--

Thanks for all the help & support guys!

Luckily the duckling has survived the ordeal... he's been kicking, scratching, eating, drinking, chirping and wait for it.... even swimming!
big_smile.png

We decided to call him 'Lucky'
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom