Problem with hatch???

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by kyle7630, May 21, 2011.

1. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    I candled my eggs last night and it looks like the air pocket is at the pointy end of each egg. Is this usual for guinea eggs? This is my first time hatching guineas. They all seem to be developing well I guess, as I can barely see through the eggs any more. They just look different from what I'm used to seeing from regular chicken eggs. Any help would be nice.

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:Air cells at the wrong end are rare in my hatches... that seems really odd that all of your eggs have that going on. They might have issues hatching, but they might do just fine. Nothing much you can do about it tho, 'cept wait and see how it goes. I'd be sure to lay them on their sides for hatching, don't stand them up in egg cartons. Good luck!

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    How long have they been cooking? Are they in trays with the big end up? Are these shipped eggs? I really never see this in my guineas and hatch about 50 every week.

4. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    Ok, I just turned and checked again because I thought that was just too odd for them to all be like that. Turns out I just didn't hold the light on the eggs right. It wasn't the air cell I was seeing, it was just space that hasn't filled up with keet yet.lol. I double checked the top and the air cell was there on each egg. I guess once I saw one I thought was wrong, I looket at the pointy end on the rest instead of actually checking the round end for the cells. What a rookie I am lol.

5. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Ok, whew, that's good news. All should be fine then!

6. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

That's ok!! I'm a rookie too.....good luck with your hatch!!

7. MtWashFam

MtWashFam Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    I looked at the pointy end too. [​IMG]

Good luck with the hatch!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by