Problem with humidity...can you help me out?

LilDucky85

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Northern, Illinois
My Pekin eggs are coming either today and tomorrow and I cant get my humidity above 62%. I have a still air Little Giant. I cut and filled the bottom off three plastic cups and put them around the bottom of the incubator. The humidity only got up around 50%. Then I took a damp washcloth and laid it across the front of the bottom of the incubator which got it up to 62%. I've had the temperature stabilized at 100 degrees for two days now, but am still working on my humidity. I've tried keeping the red vent plugs both open, and closed but it doesn't seem to make a difference. If I have both vents closed is there enough air getting in?

Can anyone help before the eggs get here? I know I have time while they come to room temp but I still want to have things perfect before they get here.

I use sponges and I know paper towel works better than they do to raise humidity fast - but the paper towel needs to be wetted more often.

I put my sponges into shallow containers of water and either stand them up (more surface area exposed) or lay them down to cut back on humidity. Sometimes I just put them onto the screen, after they are wet.

Maybe if you raise the humidity in the room, also, it may help. At one point this winter I had to put a room humidifier in there to keep the humidity in the bators up and steady. (you can get one at Walmarts for 13 bucks).

I got my humidity up to 70% right now. I added a second washcloth to the other front side, and removed one of the cups of water which was on the rack.

So I can actually put them right on top of the racks without effecting the eggs or incubator? My eggs just came in an hour ago, they are setting to get to room temperature. I'm so nervous!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom