problem with new baby gosling

I really would be interested in seeing a current picture. I must be honest and state that my area of expertise is not birds. I am here to learn, but I do think I know what the lump was. If you had showed me the same thing of any furry animal, I would have said it is an umbilical hernia, and don't worry about it. Umbilical hernias occur when the lining of the abdomen protrudes from the abdominal muscles. It is actually really rather common. It almost always heals on its own, sometimes it doesn't, but it still isn't dangerous. The intestines and stomach are still well behind the hernia. The other option is an umbilical granuloma, which is just basically where for some reason, the skin just doesn’t heal quite right and extra skin and white blood cells stick around a bit longer. These also are nothing to worry about and will usually heal on their own, but sometimes they ooze which can look very concerning. In my experience a hernia tends to be smooth and less lumpy than the picture (one lump rather than multiple), but a granuloma tends to look a little more raw and uncomfortable. Neither of these are actually painful, just unpleasant to look at. If you are sure he pecked it off, I would have to say granuloma. I have heard of umbilical hernias occur in baby turkeys, so I don’t see why it couldn’t occur in other fowl with umbilical birds. I have never heard of a umbilical granuloma in a bird, but it may very well be possible.

Thanks amuck 10 i'll know what to look for next time. Ive got more eggs in th incubator already
smile.png
. And theres even some pictures that you asked for.
So here is the picture of the underside of its belly:
27186_image054.jpg

and a fairly recent one although they are much bigger now
27186_image051.jpg

and one of their bath time
big_smile.png

27186_image053.jpg

Back
Top Bottom