Problem with salmon faverolles fifth toe - cut it off???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gritsar, Aug 27, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My SF has developed a funny gait as a result of the toenail and the toe itself, her fifth toe. It curls back alot, so much that it's pushing into the back of her leg/foot.

I have trimmed the toenail but she is still walking funny and shakes the foot as if the toe itself is bothering her. No scaly legs mites or anything like that, just a really long fifth toe.

What to do?

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Jeez Gritty, that's an EASY one!

Just carry her where she wants to go.... No walking, no problem. [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Uh yeah, I'll get right on that. [​IMG] Gritty is having trouble enough doing her own walking. I don't think I'm in any shape to be at a chickens beck and call.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If you can do it, snip it off. A few days of some soreness would be worth being able to get about well for the rest of her life. IMO of course.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I would not cut it off, it would open the skin and allow possible infection. Maybe you could tape it.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I don't think it's infected at all, there's no heat in the toe; i.e., it doesn't feel hot to the touch. Also, it's not swollen. It's just grown very long and curled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by