Problem with the support post in the run

Mominator

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Killingworth, CT
I have dug the holes for all of my pressure-treated 4x4's; all but one hole, that is. All of the holes are approximately 22 inches deep. But this last hole, well, I can't get it any deeper than 13 inches or so due to a gargantuan rock in the way! I am going to be cementing all of the posts into their holes, but i don't know what do do about this one. Is is okay to cement it in at a shallower depth than the others providing it is supported on the top, bottom and middle by 2x4's? The run is 6 feet high, and is 12 ft by 24 feet, and this post is on the long side. Be honest... anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks,
Sandy

You could make your hole larger then add some portland cement to your regular concrete mix.
Also you could drill a hole in your post at about 2/3rds the way down and stick a piece of rebar thru it that is the width of your hole.

I live in MA and I'm sure our soil is just like yours as we grow ROCKS!
hmm.png

All my posts are usually only 12-16" deep for the same reason. I just dig them, pour concrete in and place the pole in. Voila, so far they've all held up just fine.

Sounds like your run is almost exactly like mine. I too had a problem with just one hole due to a tree next to the run. The feeder root was just to large to work with. I left the hole shallow and cemented anyway, and yes the post is supported by 5 other connected 2x4's and actually this post is connected in a way to the coop itself. It is as solid as the rest that got a full burial of 2ft.

Bill

21297_coop_pic60709_005.jpg

The post is the one closest to the coop on the right as you look at it. You can see the tree I had to deal with. You'd never know that it was buried shallow. Ignore that post by itself on the right, it has nothing to do with the coop.

Mominator,

Sorry, I didn't read your post correctly I thought you were talking about posts for fencing!

All of my runs are above ground and look similiar to Bayman Moes but none have been cemented.

Yes, sinara, we grow rocks here in CT, too! I'd be a wealthy gal if I could sell 'em all for a nickel a piece!
smile.png
The post is for fencing in the run, so you were partially right!
smile.png
And yes, Baymen Moe, it will be very similar to yours, though i doubt as beautifully finished. (and is that a Chicken Awning I see? Priceless!)

Big C, thank you for the suggestion on the rebar - that sounds like a great addition for stability without any major investment, either. I'm sure my neighbor/contractor could dig up a scrap for me. If I beg. And plead. And show him my silkie chicks.....

Thank you for the support, and if there any more suggestions out there, i would be glad to hear them!
big_smile.png
I love this website.

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom