problem with water system

kat2

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
We have a 5-gal bucket from Menards, using the horizontal water nipples. The bucket developed a hairline crack just under one of the water nipples; the crack goes from the drilled hole, straight down. This is the second time this has happened to us in the past 12 months. It seems like our buckets last about 6 months, and then develop a crack. Should we be using a different type of plastic bucket? We like the water nipples, but are getting frustrated with the repeated leaks developing. Thanks in advance for your help.

I've never had a bucket crack using horizontal nipples. No Menard's here, but I started with buckets from Firehouse Subs (because they were cheap), then Buckets from Food Lion (they're free - cake icing ones, ask in the bakery. Also, they're rectangular and with it being a flat surface it may hold the nipple better). I recently, just bought a "proper" waterer from Rural King. It's a Cup-A-Water Poultry Drinker, 4-Gal. I really only bought it because I liked that I could hang it on the outside of my coop, making it easier to replenish. I put horizontal nipples where the cups normally go and like it a lot.

Moral of the story, is that I would change buckets. If they're consistently cracking, it may be something in how that particular brand is fabricated or handles the nipples or such. I'd try something getting a bucket from somewhere else - whether a DIY one or the Poultry Drinker..

Pubs use a lot of pickles and throw their food grade buckets away. Bakeries have food grade buckets too.

The buckets from Menard's, Lowe's, HD, etc., aren't food grade and a different type of plastic. I find them to be much more brittle.

I think they're all HDPE but it is the manufacturing process that differs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom