problem

chittyn

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
i have 4 rhode island red chicks. The are 8 days old now there brooder is only around 60x120 cm or bigger. i want to keep them warm because winter is fast approaching. Where shall i put them when they grow out of the brooder ?

The coop maybe. I translate that to 2' x 4' or 8 square feet. That should easily hold the chicks until they are fully feathered. You will need a top to keep them from flying out.

RIR's should be fully feathered around 5 weeks old. A brooder that size should be big enough to hold them a couple of weeks longer than that. If you can expose them to cooler temperatures gradually and give them a place out of drafts to sleep, they should transition to outside with no real problems.

They are going to start generating a lot of dust so you should plan for that. If possible, you'll want them out of your house or at least out of the main living spaces. If they have to stay in the house, some people put them in a small bathroom that they can easily clean later.

Do you have a covered back porch, or a basement, or a shed, or a garage where you can put them until your can move them to their permanent home? You'll want to keep them out of drafts with the heat lamp on them for a few more weeks and also be sure they are safe from predators.

I've got a rabbit hutch sort of thing for mine as a next stage brooder, I'll be putting it in the shed with their heat plate when they get a bit bigger, probably around 3 weeks old and then when they are 5 or 6 weeks depending on weather and feathering they'll be going in the coop.
big_smile.png

i have a shed and garage but we have mice
barnie.gif
so you think i should leave them there until they are big enouth it shouldnt be too cold outside to move them at 6 weeks of age

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom