Problems, Problems, problems

I'm on my 1st batch of chickens, which includes 15 cornish and x- rocks. To date, I've had no problems with the meat birds. They are out every morning and evening. They do rest a lot, but I've yet to have any problems, knock on wood.

My birds are coming up on 5 weeks. Some of them are BiG and I want to start butchering. Is it too soon?

Quote:
Very true! I received 25 +1 Cornish X babies on Mother's Day and just had them processed 2 days ago. The USDA inspector (Ky) said they were the finest chickens he has ever seen! I didn't lose one and they weighed in between 4.5 and 6.75 lbs.

I think giving them the powdered vitamins in their water from day one helped immensely with their leg/bone growth. Last time I had some with leg problems, this time they all were fine and walking great. Fed them unmedicated (mine were vaccinated for coccidia) chick starter until the last week and then, 15% finisher. Also pulled feed at night and just left clean water.

They are alot of work to keep up, keep clean, etc. but I love them, both alive and afterward.
tongue2.gif
I never thought they were ugly or smelly...they have the nicest laid back dispositions...until the males get older. lol

Busybirdy,

I think giving them the powdered vitamins in their water from day one.

Why kind of vitamins and how much to a gal of water.

thanks

It is a powdered vitamin/mineral/probiotic called Broiler Booster that I got with my chicks from McMurray hatchery- 1/4 tsp. in a gallon of water. I didn't even use half of it for the Cornish X's and have plenty left for my layer babies now.

You can order it from McMurray hatchery...don't have to buy the chicks to get it. Or maybe some other place carries it too.

So if the birds are drinking water at night, (when I thought they would be sleeping), is that because you leave a light on all night for all meat birds?

No. They don't always sleep all night like other chickens. They have an urge to eat all the time. Watch them in the day. They will eat and sleep by the feed trough, wake up and eat again. If feed is available they will eat at night. They needs lots of water no matter day and night.

I've only raised two batches of the cornish cross, to date. On both I used Fertrell's Poultry Nutribalancer sprinkled over their feed. The first group were raised in my garage in a 10x15 pen with deep litter, butchered at 7 weeks (we were leaving for vacation), and were3 1/2#s (hens) to 8 1/2 for the boys. No leg problems and fed 24/7. The only feed I could find was Dumor brand, so that's what they got.
This group I have outside in electric netting that makes a 20x20 square, that I move every day or two (unless we are having torrential downpours). I went redneck and use 2 halves of a plastic dog kennel for shelter, with a few bricks under them for airflow,and a 4x8 piece of plywood between them, feed them 24/7 with the FPNB, and have not only had no leg problems, but finally had to butcher the boys at about 12 weeks and 14# average. They were trying to mate with the hens or I would have let them go longer. The girls are still alive, look to be about 14#s live weight (maybe 11 butchered) and are, I think, officially 14 weeks old, today. I found Purina to feed them and have used it since they were two weeks old, I think...No leg problems. They can actually still run in that drunken sailor way that they do. We've been in the 90's here all week, so they tend to lay in the shade and eat early morning and later in the evening, though I've seen some eating at 3 p.m. on 95 degree days. No problems with the rain or the heat,yet...They handle it better than I do!
Moral of the story...It's a combination of breeding (mine are from Mt. healthy Hatchery), feed, and about 98% blind luck! So don't feel bad about the problems you've had. Sometimes it's just a bad batch of chicks from a newer layer. Karla
p.s. sometimes the chick from Mt . H suck, too...it just depends...
did this help at all??

I wish I had known about chick-starter. I may try that next time.
Also, do most people stick with the same feed the whole 8 weeks for Cornish X/s or do they switch?
I've heard both, but since they are only around for 8 weeks, does it matter?
I have been talking with an old timer chicken guy and he gives his broilers 23% game feed. I know they can suffer from too little, but can you overdo protein? I would assume not, since protein is either used or excreted (in humans anyway).
I think that I will have to forego the homemade organic feed and use non-medicated game feed for now to prevent further problems (my organic was only 18%)???
I am butchering them on Wednesday, at a bit over 7 weeks. I will let you know how they turn out. I don't think that my leg problems are because they grew too fast, because mine still seem on the small side. But we'll see.
I think the only ones that look ugly are the 4 with leg issues, because they get dirty from getting stepped on at the feeder. The rest are nice and clean!!! And "friendly" too (they know I am the feed goddess:D) I move their coop 2x/day and let them out while tending to them. They all run around (for about 5 minutes until they get too tired) and follow me around.
Thanks for the encouragement, MInifarmer!

Last edited:
I put 77 straight run on feed 24/7 and I had three easter eggers come down with leg problems and I pulled them back from the feed a few days and their legs straighten back up and now they are okay. I can only get 18, 19 or 20% protien feed here for them so they are not growing that fast the roosters will probaly be 12 to 15 weeks before they are ready they are 8 wks now they started out slow but now you can see them grow now I don't know anything about them except feed and clean out their pens and I named all of the rooster George so when the little kids as which one they are eating I can tell them it George.

I usually raise mine in tractors. Haven't really ever had a leg problem that required a cull as they just stumbled around more as they gained weight. I have food and water available at 22-24% 24/7 for 8 weeks of their lives but shut the light off on them at 4 weeks so they effectively only eat during day light hours. Might try different ways to see what works best for you. "Too much" in the short term won't be a problem with them since they only live two months. It can be a problem if lots of protein are fed for years though.

Back
Top Bottom