Problems walking

mscoe

Hatching
Oct 11, 2015
My chicken was roosting and walking just fine a few days ago. Both legs (more the right) seem to be weak. She is walking on her hocks. She has some muscle and motor control but her claws are unable to grip (lame). All other health signs are fine. She is eating and drinking normally, acting fine too. She just is not walking normal. I was worried about dislocation but after checking that does not appear to be the problem.

Zen is about a year and a half old. She was sick about a month ago in which I gave her some Tulan 50 for a few days and her respitory infection cleared up. She was given Inter-muscular injections to the left thigh. After she recover she returned to normal 100% until this happened. I looked at common movement malady a and don't see anything that matches.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Photo above of what she is doing.

Welcome to BYC. Riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency and Mareks disease can cause walking on hocks and curled toe paralysis. I would start some poultry vitamins in the water, and check the label to make sure that it contains riboflavin (Poultry Nutri-Drench does not.) How old is your feed? Sometimes vitamins become depleted from feed if it gets old or rancid. Here is an article to read: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency/

I will try the vitamins. She was vaccinated for Mareks at displays no other symptoms of that disease.

Back
Top Bottom