problems with chick to chick introduction

Yes, so I was thinking in about 3 weeks. We should have the coop ready by then. Google says avg. temps where I am are in June are 60 - 82. The bigger girls will be over 6 weeks and younger a little over 3.
If the temps hold true, I think both groups can go out at the same time. The size difference shouldn't be an issue, and the younger ones should be okay at those temps. If you want you can offer them the option of a heat plate but they may not use it at all.

Yes, so I was thinking in about 3 weeks. We should have the coop ready by then. Google says avg. temps where I am in June are 60 - 82. The bigger girls will be over 6 weeks and younger a little over 3.

Yes, it should work totally fine to move the chicks out together as soon as the coop is secure, I'd move them at the same time right before dark.
Beware that 6 weeks, for many breeds, will often be too old for brooder space... one day you walk up to them and they've exploded like popcorn in the microwave, seemingly overnight, and everything is too small. Then the pressure is really on to get done.
So, if you can accelerate your timeline, perhaps by focusing only on the security of the coop, not the run or nest boxes, that might help you have less of a challenge when the popcorn day comes.
I would put out the heat plate with the chicks. If you find after a few days, they don't need it you can just not turn it on. But if they need it and you have to set it up late at night that can be a pain.
With the heat available you don't have to worry about how old the younger chicks are when you move them out, as long as the coop is totally secure against predators (including rats which can fit through any opening wide enough for their heads).

Back
Top Bottom