Problems with hens I raised...

prinellie

Songster
9 Years
Sep 24, 2014
I incubated some of my BO eggs a year and a half ago. It seems that they have basically quit laying. Some never laid much at all - thinking back on it. I raised BO’s in the first place so I could hatch my own instead of buying them every 3 years or so. Has anyone had a problem with the hens they have incubated? I’m really disappointed....

They are 18 MO they are going to molt (18-22 MO) and each year after. A high protein feed is good now.
I hatch my own and each and every bird is an individual, some have been great layers and others great broodies, and a few poor at either.
From 10 hens I would expect 6-8 eggs most days with a rare day of 9 or even 10. Some days I watch to see who is going to a nest box, what color egg she leaves me (I have EEs) so I can see which hens/pullets are paying dues!
I dont think it maters whether they were hatched under a hen or a heater.
Many variables effect egg laying, what do you feed them? How big is their run/coop, pics details etc..

I agree for my 17. Definitely! But I raised chicks for two other people and both ladies have culled theirs because they hardly ever laid. Guess I will just wait and see...
So these 'non-laying' are birds are under another person's care...not birds that you are raising yourself? How old are they?

So these 'non-laying' are birds are under another person's care...not birds that you are raising yourself? How old are they?
No I did not raise them after 20 weeks. They laid for a few months and then slowly tapered off. They all came from the same batch of incubated chicks - they were 18 months when they were culled. I know both ladies tho and they had everything they needed - I’m sure of that

No I did not raise them after 20 weeks. They laid for a few months and then slowly tapered off. They all came from the same batch of incubated chicks - they were 18 months when they were culled. I know both ladies tho and they had everything they needed - I’m sure of that
It's hard to say why these birds are not great layers...could just be the birds themselves, doesn't matter how they reproduced, without keeping some of these offspring yourself to see how they do. How did these birds mothers lay?

It's hard to say why these birds are not great layers...could just be the birds themselves, doesn't matter how they reproduced, without keeping some of these offspring yourself to see how they do. How did these birds mothers lay?
I did/do have some of the incubated. I gave some to 2 different ladies also. The mothers were good to great layers - and a couple were broodies.

Back
Top Bottom