Problems with neighbors

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jlbpooh, Jun 6, 2011.

1. jlbpooh

jlbpooh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2007
    Catawba, SC
    It is perfectly legal for me to have whatever kind of poultry/animals I want with my zoning. We also have perimeter fencing around our entire property. Our birds range freely within our fencing, we have ducks, geese, guineas, and chickens.

I have a neighbor that is constantly harrassing us about my birds (we were here first). First he doesn't like the guineas, so he has called the sheriff once and said they were pooping in his pool. When we confronted him after the sheriff left, he acknowledged that the birds hadn't crossed the boundaries and that he was just worried that they would poop in his beloved pool. One other day he threatened to call the sheriff about the guineas noise. Yet a couple of days later we caught him messing with them and making them scream. He has also thrown fireworks and burning sticks at them.

Saturday he called and complained that a pair of my ducks had gone through my fence and were eating his grass. Mind you this area is in the woods and is not lawn, and these ducks have never gone throught the fence in the past. Also, he has fed some of my birds in the past because he liked the geese. I put a stop to that. He put up a piece of welded wire where they were coming through. I went and assessed it, and decided the welded wire would be sufficient. This morning at 7 am. I decided the ducks could roam around since that wire was up. I got a call an hour later from the Sheriff's office saying that my neighbor had called them about my ducks eating his grass. I said we were both at work (I work 26 miles from home, hubby is 20 minutes away), so it would be 5:30 before I could be home to put them in a pen. The sheriff was fine with that. My hubby got mad at the neighbor and went home anyway to put the ducks up. There was no wire hanging on the fence anymore. The neighbor took it down, so the ducks could go through the fence again so he could call the sheriff.

This particular pair of ducks is now for sale since I can't keep them penned up forever. The poor things haven't been penned up for 2 years except for at night until today. They were going crazy when I got home. I cannot afford to put another form of fencing over 6 acres worth of field fencing to keep them from going back through the fence. Sure I could cover the area they are going through now, but they will just find another way of getting to his yard knowing my luck.

Anyone have any advice for how to deal with a neighbor that hates any kind of animal period? He threw his wife's cat out, and he is fencing his entire property to keep any kind of critter out. He doesn't work, so he is outside hours on end and has plenty of time to find more things to knit pick about. We aren't the only ones he is doing this too, the man on the other side of him has some livestock and dogs too. I am so frustrated it isn't even funny.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:although I sympathize with your situation, but the simple solution is to keep your animals on your property. If you can't' then get rid of them. That's it really.

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Set up game cams to keep an eye on this creep. And document everything. This is harrassment, pure and simple.

4. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    What a jerk. I'm with Baymule, if you can get a camera then you'll have evidence...

5. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Hope he doesn't fall down in the chicken coop!!!!! And hit his head!!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:although I sympathize with your situation, but the simple solution is to keep your animals on your property. If you can't' then get rid of them. That's it really.

[​IMG] That was so totally not helpful. You can do better than that!!!

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

He is clearly setting you up. I would go get that camera PRONTO. Make it so he can't see it so you can run over there with the CD hollering BOOYA!!!!

8. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI

[​IMG] That was so totally not helpful. You can do better than that!!!

I can, and I think he's a turd, but the law is the law... if her ducks are on his lawn, that's it. There's nothing else to do about it. I agree, he's a busybody turd breath but if she wants to openly admit to the law that she can't contain her animals then AC or the police will rectify the situation to the neighbors satisfaction.

9. miraclz5

miraclz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    So sorry for you situation with your nightmare neighbor! Unfortunately and sadly some people are just like that....and with people like that, no matter WHAT you do they are going to have a problem and find fault. You could turn your property line into Fort Knox and he is STILL going to have a problem. When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who would go ballistic if our dog so much as stepped a foot on his property....however, it was no big deal if his dog came on our property...even when his dog came in our yard and killed our beloved cat...."It was just a cat!" he said. Like I said....."SOME PEOPLE" I second the camera idea....document everything! Good luck and know we are thinkin o you!!!

10. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] Maybe a rooster should come along and spur his eyes as he gets his head crushed against the coop floors. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by