Procaine penicillin G orally instead of a shot

Eggcessive

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried to give procaine penicillin G by mouth instead of intramuscularly (as a shot?) Drugs like Tylan injectable are sometimes used orally so I wondered if anyone has tried this. I know you can use oral penicillin, but if you can only get the injectable at the feed store, can you use it this way?

Now I've the same question and you've no answer.
Designed to be given as a deep intramuscular administration,this is long acting,getting into system faster,works by stopping the growth of bacteria by weakening cell walls and killing bacteria,probably would not be effective if given orally and could cause upset to digestive tract.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried to give procaine penicillin G by mouth instead of intramuscularly (as a shot?) Drugs like Tylan injectable are sometimes used orally so I wondered if anyone has tried this. I know you can use oral penicillin, but if you can only get the injectable at the feed store, can you use it this way?

My horse vet said that it's not as effective and I believe it is one of the only injectables ones that shouldn't be given orally.

-Kathy

A better alternative if you don't want to give shots is this product--oral penicillin or fishmox which is amoxicillin: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=8728008c-8463-4949-ad76-512c070050fa
Amoxicillin is even better than penicillin, IMO.

-Kathy

Just found this:

"Chemically, the difference between amoxicillin and penicillin is the addition of an amino group to amoxicillin that makes it more polar and allows it to better penetrate gram-negative bacteria.

Functionally, the difference is that amoxicillin is active against a broader spectrum of bacteria (not stronger against any of the bacteria penicillin works on), and it is more soluble than penicillin G, so can be given orally (so can penicillin V, but amoxicillin is still absorbed a bit better).

You can do a lot of other things for sinus and ear infections to help drainage, including exercise, hot drinks and other sources of steam, but there are no other drugs to take to help clear one up that I know of.

Source:

Pharmacologist; I teach the differences between amoxicillin and penicillin yearly"

Source:http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080722091954AA0n79g

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom