1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Proccessed my first roo today! **PIC**

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by marlene, Mar 12, 2012.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    It wasn't as bad as i had thought, hubby did the killing by chopping his head off and i did the rest.
    It took me 30 minutes to pluck and gut, i am quite pleased with that time as it was the first time ever i had done it.
    He was a wheaton maran, nearly 20 weeks old and weighed in at 1.5 kg, just over 3lb dressed weight, which is not too bad.
    He is resting in the fridge for now, tomorrow i will be cooking him in the oven with vedge, long and slow.

[​IMG]

2. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Congratulations on a meal well earned.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Congratulations! I still haven't made that step although I intend to . . . someday. :)

4. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I didn't plan on taking that step either and have given away many a roo, but hubby was bought up on a farm and could not justify me giving away "MEAT".
    I sort of had to talk myself round to it, and after a lot of reading on here and watching youtube videos helped me to do it.
    I was very nervous this morning but hubby done the deed so there was no going back. To be honest, picking him up and putting him in the water to scald and plucking was the worts, once he was plucked, he was just a chicken like any other.
    Now i have done it once, i will deffinately be doing it again as it really was not so bad.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Congrats on a job well done. I have to agree with your DH. The only roos I sold or gave away are the ones that were going to be taken to the fair. :thumbsup

6. bluere11e

bluere11e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    I look back decades ago when I gave away TONS of roos because they were annoying. NEVER then did it cross my mind to process them. I am kicking myself...BUt, no better time than the present to get educated...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by