Proccessed my first roo today! **PIC**

marlene

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
UK
It wasn't as bad as i had thought, hubby did the killing by chopping his head off and i did the rest.
It took me 30 minutes to pluck and gut, i am quite pleased with that time as it was the first time ever i had done it.
He was a wheaton maran, nearly 20 weeks old and weighed in at 1.5 kg, just over 3lb dressed weight, which is not too bad.
He is resting in the fridge for now, tomorrow i will be cooking him in the oven with vedge, long and slow.

Congratulations! I still haven't made that step although I intend to . . . someday. :)

I didn't plan on taking that step either and have given away many a roo, but hubby was bought up on a farm and could not justify me giving away "MEAT".
I sort of had to talk myself round to it, and after a lot of reading on here and watching youtube videos helped me to do it.
I was very nervous this morning but hubby done the deed so there was no going back. To be honest, picking him up and putting him in the water to scald and plucking was the worts, once he was plucked, he was just a chicken like any other.
Now i have done it once, i will deffinately be doing it again as it really was not so bad.

Congrats on a job well done. I have to agree with your DH. The only roos I sold or gave away are the ones that were going to be taken to the fair.
thumbsup.gif

I look back decades ago when I gave away TONS of roos because they were annoying. NEVER then did it cross my mind to process them. I am kicking myself...BUt, no better time than the present to get educated...lol

Back
Top Bottom