procedure for stopping hen that has started to become broody

pattya

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 2, 2008
I have no fertile eggs to hatch and a hen is starting to become broody.looking for procedure that breaks hen from becoming broody.all info is helpfull. thanks

Lauralou on here has a "broody jail" she puts her broodies in. It's a smaller wire frame cage with no nest and wire on the bottom. I think it's pretty effective at breaking her hens.

Good luck!

I lock mine out of the nesting area for the day. They are forced to freerange with the others until just before dark. They may sit in a nest during the night, but NOT all day. It seems to work pretty well.

Also, my little cochin hen who would rather brood than eat has her nesting box opening covered up at all times when I see her sitting for more than long enough to lay an egg. I know she's already started brooding. The problem is that it still takes her several weeks to start laying again, even if I break her within a few days. It's like they're broody "in their mind" before they start sitting on the nest.

Thanks for the info. Should the broody hen be separated from the other birds?

We have had her in a cage within the coop (wire floor, above the ground, etc) for about a week (while continuing to lay an egg a day). After letting her out yesterday afternoon for the first time to roam with the others, when she went back to the coop, she went right to the nest. So confusing! Thanks again.

Quote:
I keep mine away from the others and as uncomfortable as possible. I make sure she has food and water but nowhere to get comfy and sit. Some people say dip her bum in cold water or put ice under her but I have never tried either!

Back
Top Bottom