processed a duck & I missed a step

RedfogsFlock

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Wittmann, AZ
A few months ago I invited our mean duck to dinner. Well I had never processed a bird before this. So I decapitated him, skinned him, gutted him, & then rinsed him off & right into the freezer.

The step I missed, I didn't soak him on ice. I had him in the freezer before rig set in. Is his meat ruined now? Or will he just be tough? He was a white pekin duck.

When you get ready to eat him, just sit him in the refrigerator an extra day or two after he defrosts. No big deal. He may be a little tougher, he may not be. So cook him a little lower temperature for a little longer than you normally might, just to give him the best chance to get tender, and he'll taste just fine.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Well, if my two ducks don't stop pestering my biggest hen and my rooster, I may well start eating them without killing them first
somad.gif

Honestly, from the time the birds wake up, until the time they go to sleep, I have these two ducks following them wherever they go, all the while making a silly hissing sound and bobbing their heads up and down. Both will be getting slaughtered soon, and what a fine meal they''ll make. When we first got them, I thought they were really cute, but since them, I've actually grow to dislike them, not to mention they destroy everything in their path. I know I could pen them up, but then they won't taste as good, or at least that what I believe. I do know that that there's a difference in taste between a chicken raised entirely on pellets, and a chicken that free ranges all day, every day. I'm assuming the same applies to ducks. If I'm wrong, I'll let you all know shortly
droolin.gif

Hmmm...Tropical, sounds kind of like my experience. Are yours Muscovies too? Yours is the second letter I've read today mentioning a problem with mixed duck/chicken flocks--other than those in the "Chickens and ducks living in harmony" thread in the Ducks category...

You can read my story in that thread as well.

Back
Top Bottom