Processed coturnix for the first time!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Nov 4, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    And I have to say it was very simple, and I much prefer these over doing chickens (because it could be done in the kitchen with little mess). I only had time to do 5 and struggled with the first one. Ended up skinning it and splitting it down the back. The rest I plucked clean and left whole.

I did buy a decent pair of poultry shears from Target for only about $20, and a good chef's knife.

I don't know how you all do it in just minutes; maybe with more practice I'll get quicker (plucking took a long time too). It took me about 30 minutes per bird.

Overall I was very pleased with the results, although it will take quite a few of these little birds to make a meal. That's the downside. On the upside, I've got 43 more eggs going in the incubator tonight!!

2. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I've decided too that quail are an ideal meat bird for us.

Practice will help you get faster.

Yummy arent they?

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Yes I agree with practice you get much much quicker, the first ones we ever did we plucked and it took forever. Now with skinning it's less than a minute per bird.

And they really are the ideal meat bird.

From the last batch we processed about 50-ish, we hatched 60 eggs before we processed. And from that batch I just picked up the first egg from them this morning. We will process about 2/3 of them and winter over the rest, next spring hatch out some more. The only thing we have talked about in the future is maybe go to a larger quail but, by doing that they would

1) eat more
    2) take longer to grow out
    3) we would have to keep less.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by