First time processing

Thank you for the information!

I have heard of people who will not freeze their processed chickens immediately due to rigor mortis. Could I if I wanted to or does that mess with the texture? Does it make it tough? Should I store it in the fridge for a day or something??

Edit: I have been looking at raising the grey ranger from Meyers hatchery. I do not like how cornish sit and eats so people are saying this is a good meat bird that acts like a regular chicken to some extent.
Would I need to clip their feathers??? Or would they be ok if I put up the chicken electric fencing? I would like to be able to move them around my pasture, but if they are going to flutter over the electric fence things then I am going to have to figure out something.
I have rainbow rangers from Meyer right now. I think they are similar to their grey rangers. I have them in a tractor right now but tomorrow I am actually putting them in an area with a 4 ft fence. What a coincidence that you ask this. So I will update you and answer that question!

If he got stuck, then he didn't fly over. I had a RIR rooster get stuck in the netting because he ran into it. Neighbor's dog in the middle the night running loose was the catalyst. I agree they may TRY to fly over the netting. RIR and Australorps can fly over the netting.
Perhaps I was unclear. We let our chickens free range a good bit. He was outside, then tried to get back in the coop by flying over the fence into the run, but the netting covers the top of the run so he landed on that and got a bit tangled.

Thank you everyone! I have put off raising meat birds for so long just because it was unknown territory! I am definitely raising the rangers this spring!
Great to hear! That's exciting. We're here to help if you have questions, and there are a lot of articles and threads on here that will answer your questions.

By the way, I wanted to update you that my Rangers have been in the 4ft fenced area for nearly a week now. No one has attempted to fly over the fence so you should be good. They walk, run, and peck, like normal chickens, but they seem to stay pretty grounded because they are meatier than normal chickens.

Is there a taste/texture difference between the rangers and the cornish? Any site I go to says they prefer rangers but then I go to youtube to watch what farmers prefer and they say cornish. What are your opinions?

Is there a taste/texture difference between the rangers and the cornish? Any site I go to says they prefer rangers but then I go to youtube to watch what farmers prefer and they say cornish. What are your opinions?
I have had both. I think Cornish are so tender and delicious. Also pound for pound I get the most bang for the buck. The rangers are good but I just prefer big meat. I raise them on some pretty good feed and leaf greens and I think they taste better than anything from the grocery store.

I've only done CX so far and have my first batch of Rangers going right now. But from what I've heard, the CX are more tender because they move around less, and are less flavorful because they prefer to mostly eat chicken feed. Rangers from what I've heard are slightly less tender because they are more active, and have a more pronounced flavor because they forage much more and will eat food scraps. But either one is gonna be better than a grocery store chicken. The CX we have raised so far have been delicious! More tender and flavorful than any chicken I've had.

I can give a full review/comparison once I taste this current batch of Rangers.

Back
Top Bottom