Processed first batch of Cornish X

vaiger

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 27, 2010
I ordered 25 birds. Lost one in shipping and killed one while moving the tractor, so only had 23 to process. I am new to the meat bird thing and have only processed four or five roosters before.

I built the Whizbang plucker and mounted three killing cones to one side of it. I scalded in a turkey fryer. Basically, I caught the birds, killed them, scalded and plucked and then my wife took it from there. We were able to do 23 birds in about 3 hours with the two of us.....which is much better than the nearly two hours it took us to process my first rooster!

The whizbang plucker worked great, but I had to stop after a few birds and adjust the idler pulley. If we had plucked these birds by hand, I can say that we would not be doing any more meat birds, but with the plucker, we really enjoyed the task.

Looking forward to doing my next 50. They will be 8 weeks in early August.

I have learned so much from these boards. Processing would have been much more difficult without all of the contributions you guys make to these boards.

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
Good for you & the Missus too! I'm glad things went so well for you with this batch of meaties. Enjoy your well-earned meals!

Back
Top Bottom