Processed for first time yesterday and can't get smell out of my head!

Forty three years ago I had to help the family process chickens. I still have the imprint of singed pin feathers in my head...as well as the flapping, running dying chickens....haven't processed any since then! But, I feel I have made some progress by opening threads like this to read....
sharon

I got used to the smells of the process.

My first processing day, I didn't think I'd ever get the smell of wet feathers and raw meat. I had nightmares about chickens haunting me forever. I didn't think I would ever be able to handle it.

4 years later, we process several times a year, we even help others process their birds. It's still smelly, it still makes me sad, but a good shower afterwards and a big fat pizza, and I'm over it. All the meat we eat is raised on our farm, but I can't eat chicken the same day I process it! We always opt for pizza!

PS - we use kill cones - it allows the blood to drain, and avoids the "running around with their head cut off" which can get dirt into the cut site, as well as break wings and legs.

We also take away food the night before, so they don't have a full gullet, which can be messy during processing, as well as a full back end, which does get messy. I find that scalding actually does a great job of cleaning off the birds, without having to stress them out by spraying them. Our plucker also sprays them down and rinses them well after scalding.

I'm a suburban kid who didn't grow up on a farm. And now I can process chickens like it's no big deal, it's all part of the deal. My friends have no idea how I can do it. Even done it in all stages of pregnancy, even the part where weird smells will set you off.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am proud of you and you have earned the badge of honor, you are very welcome to join any real chicken persons proccessing line. Very well said and very well done.

I hose them down after killing, gets that extra blood off as well. I'll hand scrub a bit if they're really holding onto yuck.

There is nothing nastier smelling than poo, blood and dirt steaming in a 150 degree water bath
sickbyc.gif

I scald and pluck indoors in my kitchen. I get no complaints from DH (who is usually in the next room, watching TV or something).

Quote:
exactly................. now there you go.............. you said it well funk smells funkier when it's stewing LOL.

Quote:
That's probably it. I don't notice much of a smell, but I also do not smell the mouse colony here at work. I am told that students can smell it 4 floors down.... I can't even smell it when I open the individual cages. There was a time when I first started I too could smell them as soon as I entered the building and had to shower after work... I just figure I smell like mouse urine all the time now.

Quote:
That's probably it. I don't notice much of a smell, but I also do not smell the mouse colony here at work. I am told that students can smell it 4 floors down.... I can't even smell it when I open the individual cages. There was a time when I first started I too could smell them as soon as I entered the building and had to shower after work... I just figure I smell like mouse urine all the time now.

Ahh yes... That lovely mouse smell. We live trap mice in the hen house. A dozen mice in a trap can really stink up a place.

I just did my first one tonight. I hosed the little guy down mostly to get the blood cleaned out, (it splattered a bit) and then skinned him. I knew I couldn't handle plucking!

There was no odor in particular... Also we processed him outside. Very little odor at all!

Hope these suggestions help...

Quote:
Thank you for this idea! I will hose them next time before I scald. Yes, I think there will be a next time.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom