Processed my first Bird today - Cornish X, aged 23 weeks, 5 days [No Pictures - Safe for the Squeemish]

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
Still haven't unpacked my emotions - nothing felt strongly, just lots of different feelings - but I'm not wired right, so I guess that's a good thing in this instance. Do feel I should have used a sharper knife. This was quick, clean, and respectful - but I'd have preferred my first cut to have been deeper, and to have broken down the bird a little faster after it was bled out and feather free.

So, numbers...

This was a male Cornish X purchased at Tractor Supply, mix of feed and free range, scale put it at 12# 13 oz (approximate - this scale uses decimal weights, I used a kitchen scale later in the process - read 12.8#) live weight.

After decapitation, defeathering, and removal of the entrails, I was reading 9# 8 oz / 9.5#, approx 75% of live weight. No complaints there.

Parted out as follows:

Heart, Liver, Gizzard - 5 oz
Backbone, Neck, Wing tips - 1# 1 oz
Thigh Quarter x2 - 1# 8 oz ea (almost, and near identical. not displeased with my butchering)
Breast Quarters - 1 @ 2# 10 oz, 1 @ 2# 9 oz (didn't split the keel evenly - see comment above re: sharper knife)

Yes, I'm aware that doesn't quite add up - I'm blaming the weight of the bags I stored the parts in, and rounding errors for the discrepancy.

Do NOT know the cost to raise the bird to this age and weight, I have a mixed flock, its impossible to measure individual food consumption, and I had to change feeds due to shortages multiple times. Total time to process, about 45 minutes, from hanging on the scale to bringing the last utensil in to wash, bleach, store.

May do a duck tomorrow, I have too many drakes, and I have room in the fridge. AFTER I brine a pork belly for bacon and pay the guy who has been digging the foundation for my house and fixing my gulley, which is supposed to be a driveway.

Sounds good.

When I did my first birds I found that once they were undressed it was just like cutting up a grocery store chicken.

I don't try to split the keel, I cut the breasts into thirds to keep the pieces closer to the same size for cooking. I also take the wings off to cook separately. People of my age and older will remember when KFC did it that way.

Update - ate him tonight. Baked at 375 degrees for something like 1:30. Well, half of him. Flavor was good, more "turkey" than "chicken". Very little fat in the pan, should have made gravy, though I'd not have had much of it. A bit toothier than I expected, but not shoe leather. I've had better pork chops - and worse.

Next time, I think yellow curry or doro wat. It can stand up to some stronger flavors. (and I made the same dish last night, but with a store bought (and smaller) bird, so I could compare).

Tomorrow, I'll take the rest of the meat off the bone - we only ate a portion of what we cooked tonight - and turn it into chicken salad for sandwiches.

@SnootyHen !!!! Yes I do. I have more messages than you, but only half the time served. Great to see you here! Love your screen name

I read more than I post but I have definitely gotten a wealth of info. An old nickname during the spice girls era when my group of girl friends was "the hens" and we each had a hen name. Seems too appropriate not to use. 😂

Back
Top Bottom